A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to Install a double-din head unit in a 2001 A8L

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply!

here are a couple of pictures to show what my plugs are showing.

I am using a metra kit. when I check the fade/balance, all separates correctly, however, the tweeters that are in the rear doors do not turn on, which are where the door latch is, and the phone speaker is running connected to the right door panel. :/

the brown plug, which I would think should have all four center plugs there, and it is connected that way to the metra, is only showing having 2. so I am not sure at this point, since there is nothing there, how I am able to get front and back to work. lol.

here is the snap from the top of my radio

and here is the snaps of the wire harnesses.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

has anyone been successful in getting the steering wheel controls to work?

i have tried tapping into the data line and the remo line, to no avail.

i know that the pdf listed on this thread shows the remo line being the control, but i cannot get the controls to work.

i am using the newest

ASWC-1 with the newest firmware

http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.ph...roducts_id=197

Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

oh, also figured out how the phone speaker is working.

the front tweeters are connected to the brown plug, white, and there are no back cables on that plug. so the two white going into it are actually running the front tweeters and also that phone speaker. somehow, the original head unit must be able to say NOT to use that phone speaker by the seat and only the tweeters.

since there is not gray connections to the tweeters that are in the back doors by the latch, i am still trying to figure out how they worked with the original head unit. ;?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the rear tweeters were operating out of the Bose Amps.

So, the pre-amp output to the amps would supply the signal for them, as well as the rear doors and package shelf in the rear with the dual speakers back there.

I'm not sure in my system that the fronts don't run off a Bose amp as well, since I'm only hooked up via pre-amp's, and the "speaker line level" wires are not used.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

ok. Finally!!! my parts came in. took them 4 weeks to make 1 part. rediculous. but its done.

here is my install! hope you like it.

you will notice in a couple of pictures that i installed a car lighter adapter begind the console so that i could install an inductive carger for my phone..."look ma' no hands" charging while i drive with 1amp charge!

Also, you may notice, i changed out ALL of my lighting throughout the car with RED LED's

in the last couple of pictures, there is a difference. if you look, i sanded down the face of the bezel so that it would be flush and curved to match the consol after in completed the wood grain.

enjoy!

and....the finale.....

Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That wood trim brings it all together.

I like the GUI on your Pioneer too. My Kenwood is okay, but I liked the Pioneer GUI's better.

The fit on my Kenwood was so tight, I needed no brackets to screw it into place. It slides into place, and does not move again, and it takes quite a bit of force to move it back out.

I was going to secure the slide out frame, and then have it so the unit would be removed that way, but it just worked out fine with everything slid into place, and it holds the trimmed A6 plastic Metra adapter fine too.

I used that same 4 way noise/ground loop isolator. Works great.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

your lucky. I only have a single din slot in mine
Old 12-01-2013, 03:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi all,

I am brand new to this forum. I just got myself an Audi S8. Originally this was an A8 V8 (1997), but it is completely rebuilt to 2003 spec S8 including brakes, suspension, interior etc (with the R8 V8 engine, 450 hp :-) )

It has the audi Symphony double din on board (I can see that it is built in later, probably with the rebuilt to S8), but I regard this as a bit outdated.

So I got myself the Pioneer AVIC-F950 double din unit. I already have succeeded to integrate this with the steering control and connected it to the OEM Bose amplifier :-). But I have 1 problem: I get no FM antenna signal. I have the feeling that I missed some kind of connection. Did anyone have this experience?

Best regards, John from the Netherlands
Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1 addition to my previous (and 1st) post: the integration with the bose amplifier was done via Pioneer interface CA-R-PI.011 (version without canbus). I also tried the version with Canbus, but that one did not work.

The steering wheel integration is achieved by hooking connector 11 (muli function steering wheel) from the Metra connector to the corresponding wire on the CA-R-PI.011.

It is built in the dash by an Audi A6 (2001) facia.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the monkey house

Please post some photos of your car, most especially under the hood...or bonnet...or whatever it's termed in the Netherlands.

Cheers

Quick Reply: How-to Install a double-din head unit in a 2001 A8L