A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install an iPad mini head unit in an Audi A8/D2 dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install an iPad mini head unit in an Audi A8/D2 dash

How to install an iPad mini in an Audi A8/D2 as a head unit

A followup to my original post "how to install a double DIN head unit in an A8 D2 dash" from long ago:

(https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...1-a8l-2773028/)
  • Uses an iPad mini 2 (64 bit) as the head unit. Only 16G, but using Apple Music or Pandora so it's enough) ($100 on craigslist)
  • Output is wireless
    • Either a good bluetooth unit with AAC and MP3 codecs (not lossless, but very good. IOS and Android)
      (
      Amazon Amazon
      ) $35 OR
    • Airplay wireless into a converted Apple TV gen 3 (lossless audio, but IOS only) ($50 craigslist)
      (converted an Apple TV gen 3 from 120v AC to 12V DC) (easy) ($25)
      (USB Power Module for Apple TV (Generation 3) - GLOBAL SHIPPING eBay)
      then optical out to analog RCA) ($25 BestBuy, USB powered
  • Charging is via a 90 degree USB cable with a magsafe connector. Reconnects when you get close.
    (Mcdodo 3 in 1 Metal Magnetic Nylon Cable Lightning/Micro USB/Type C Sync charge eBay) $18
  • iPad held on by magnets, so you can hand it to someone (cough, cough, wifey, cough) to select music.
  • 4G LTE from AT&T (Mobley in diagnostic port), unlimited, $22 a month including all taxes, etc. Unplugs and moves to my big RV for trips.
  • Can also use your phone as a WiFi hot spot instead. Or use an Apple TV gen 3 v2. No WiFi needed to connect to that version.
  • BTW, tried wireless charging ("Qi"), but not enough power, and the iPad gets too hot.
  • Uses existing sound processor (Alpine PXE-H660) and amps, speakers and subs (removed original Bose stuff 10 years ago)
  • "Hey Siri" works well, even with road noise because dual noise cancelling microphones in iPad.
  • Hands free with a small bluetooth button for volume, pause, fwd, rev, Siri. Will eventually connect to existing steering wheel controls.
  • Works and sounds amazing. iPad is removable and easily stashed if needed.
  • Waze, Google maps, any app you like.

I'll write more tomorrow, but here are the teaser pictures:

Background screen
Background screen
Test fitting.
BestBuy $25
Opening up an Apple TV gen 3 to convert from 120V AC to 12V DC
testing.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice

Very nice, I've wanted to do this for a while. I'd love to figure out how to get the iPad to pop up a video of the backup camera automatically without me having to touch the screen, that would be great.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm chasing the same problem.

some interesting kickstarter solutions, but a lot of vapor.

i purchased a Pearl Automotive RearView for my son's car. He uses an iPhone 6S+ for his main screen (mag mount). Their solution is awesome, but $499 was pricy. Unfortunately they blew through $50m in VC funding, but sales were too low. They closed up a month or so ago.

Amazon Amazon

the app used NFC to needle a push notification, but is still a hack.

jialbreaking opens up lots of possibilities. Arduino with a canbus OBD-II shield and a few triggers. Might be an interesting project.

i'll keep you all updated.

- John