A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do the Tie Rod ends last (and some other stuff)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do the Tie Rod ends last (and some other stuff)?

I replaced mine 31K ago and then adjusted my alignment. Now it is way off again. I was thinking about replacing the ends again before I get another alignment.

BTW when I got the first alignment, it was just a toe adjustment. Now I'm thinking I'll spend the extra money, take it to the dealer and get a 4 wheel sub-frame job. Am I making sense?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tie rods should be good for more than 31K miles. What is the total milage on your car?

There are several other possible causes (control arms with bushiings and ball joints, 4 per wheel) for alignment to go bad starting at around 70-80 K miles. I would have all of the suspension components checked by a good independant mechanic and go form there. BTW, it is unlikely that the subframe will need to be moved- that is only for when your camber is unbalanced side-to-side, and I've never seen that happen. However a good 4-wheel alignmnet is worth the money.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Tie rods should be good for more than 31K miles. What is the total milage on your car?

141K total. The mechanic that did my alignment last time said it us well needed but I don't know if it was because I had just replaced my tie rod ends or because of the mileage.

31K later the car really wants to drift to the right and the outside of the right/front is very worn. Also, the inside of the left/front tire is even worse...almost down to the treads. Tires otherwise have little wear.

So your saying it might be another suspension component?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default With 141K miles, the control arms should have already been replaced.

I would personally recommend replacing all of the front control arms- the parts are about $650 and labor is around 4-5 hours. Your A8 will handle like new when you are done. Get either the stock control arms or the Mehle aftermarket arms- there are others but I'd stay away. I replaced both front wheel bearings at the same time just for preventative maintenance (much easier with the suspension already apart). Also be sure to check your CV joints- if they are worn that could add to the problems.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:35 PM

Default Is this what your saying I should stay away from...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-CONTROL-ARM-KIT-A8-A8-QUATTRO-IMPROVED-12-PCS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQitemZ8062938 911QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Old 05-09-2006, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes- if they were truly "FROM A HIGHLY TRUSTED AUTOMOTIVE PARTS SUPPLIER".......

they would tell you who it was. Plus, they can't spell heavy, so they aren't too bright ;-) One place you can get the Meyle kit is:<ul><li><a href="http://www.blauparts.com/audi_control_arm/audi_a8_control_arm_kit.shtml">http://www.blauparts.com/audi_control_arm/audi_a8_control_arm_kit.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 05-09-2006, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just got my car back yesterday after doing the control arms, tie rods and Suspension.

The Control arm and Tie rods I bought in the kit from Blauparts.com. Night and Day Difference. I wil go more in depth on this after I get some Pics today.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you want it done right, start replacing stuff. For an alignment to be most accurate make sure you

have good tires on your car and a full tank of gas when you bring it in. This is of course dependant on the condition of your control arms and tie rods.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Ok I just ordered the control arm kit from blauparts.com....

I plan on working on it this weekend. Do you know if there is a procedure on the net? Maybe audipages?

Thanks for all your help and input.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not aware of a specific procedure anywhere but in the Bentley......

but it is not too difficult if you have the correct tools. One word of warning, several of us have had to drill out the long bolts that hold the upper control arms into the steering knuckle. It gets so corroded that nothing else works sometimes. I had to use an industrial drill press to get mine out. Be sure that you have new bolts for just about everything, especially the upper control arm pinch bolts and the axle bolts. Good luck- not including drilling the bolts out, it took me arond 6 hours to do both sides. Be sure to have the car sitting on the ground when you tighten all the suspension bolts (I put the weight of the front suspension on floor jacks so I'd still have access to all the bolts.)