A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is this for some backyard mechanic?!? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is this for some backyard mechanic?!? WTF!

So, i bought this car a few months ago and have been daily driving it. Along the way, I can obvisously tell the previous owner either didn't give a **** about this car or couldn't afford to do anything. Anyways, after fixing multiple issues, the headlights have been different tints but being D2S bulbs are stupid expensive I didn't want to replace them until one blew, well that day was today on my way home from work. I get home, while pulling the headlight out, I find a ground wire going into the back of the headlight and start to worry about what this is for... After opening it, I find a standard halogen bulb being powered by the power wire to the HID ballest and a new ground wire run out to teh headlight mounting bolt. What the **** is wrong with people? At what point does someone think this is a normal repair to a blown bulb?

Here is a picture for you all to laugh at.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check this out >>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-D2S-HID-X...0db02c&vxp=mtr

I haven't bought from them yet, but WILL, at this price...just to see if it brightens my aging lights a little. Mine are equal in color and intensity, but don't seem to quite as bright as years back.

Several others I know have installed these with no complaints.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

purchased! Thanks for the link. I'll do a side by side picture when i get them and report back.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

People will def do some crazy **** man. Its nuts. Prob. thought it was a great fix too! It was left just like that? No covering on any of those wires??

Is the headlight housing burned as well?? In what looks like the 1:30-3 position? daaaaaaaaaaaamn.....

Will that replacement bulb also fit 01-03 S8?

I would imagine it will just want to make sure its the same.

OEM is 4300? might go with 6K.... always liked super bright with just a slight slight shade of blue to them.

But for $15, how can you go wrong?

Would it be worth changing the ballast as well? Or is that the kind of thing where if it works, its working. If it was going bad it would die?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by '01-S8
People will def do some crazy **** man. Its nuts. Prob. thought it was a great fix too! It was left just like that? No covering on any of those wires??

Is the headlight housing burned as well?? In what looks like the 1:30-3 position? daaaaaaaaaaaamn.....

OEM is 4300? might go with 6K.... always liked super bright with just a slight slight shade of blue to them.

Would it be worth changing the ballast as well? Or is that the kind of thing where if it works, its working. If it was going bad it would die?
The OEM ballasts are super expensive and basically work or don't work.

These bulbs will work in your car. All D2's with Xenon's should take "D2S" bulbs...a standard size.

4300K, 5000K, 6000K, etc...is just the color temperature (in Kelvin) as in photography ("white balance")...the higher the temp, the bluer it gets, but no brighter...the lower, the yellower, but not dimmer.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by '01-S8

I never thought about the ballast not working. Maybe that was the problem, and whoever did this didn't want to replace it.

The cover was on the back side ofthe headlight. THe screws were all loose to slide the wire through. Im sure that allowed lots of moisture and debris in. The burn mark you see is the insulation from teh wire burning off. It scraped right off.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got my lights... Ordered them Monday morning, came Friday. <$20

Took out my old bulbs which Im sure have never been changed over the 175k.

Obv old hurt bulb on left, new shiny bright clear bulb on right...

I got 6K and like the slight tint of blue it puts off. I would love to have them be a littttllleeeeeeee higher. Im pretty sure my auto level sensor is botched. Im gonna take a look and see if there is a screw adjustment??

Either way, lights were a 2 minute install, fit great, shine bright and couldnt ask for more for <$20....

now for HID brights and fogs.........
Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

HID replacement bulbs and HID Fogs installed....

New bulbs, and entire HID fog kit for <$100!!!