A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hunting and Thumping

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting and Thumping

Hello, I have been lurking this forum for about a month now. I bought a 99 A8 for what I thought was a steal. Shortly after, I discovered it had a transmission problem. Yes, the dreaded low speed hunting accompanied by the cruising speed off throttle thump. Virtually the same thing I have read here many times. I found an excellent tranny mechanic who had some experience with these transmissions. His first thought was a sticky valve in the VB. He removed the VB and indeed found the valve he suspected sticking. He corrected it- no help. He then checked out the TPS, tried a new computer, lock up solenoid and speed sensor- all no help.(he removed all these parts and reinstalled mine, no cost for parts to me) He advised me it would need a torque converter. I had him do the job last week. The transmission now works perfectly. He removed my TC and sent it to be overhauled, according to the guy that overhauled it, it was metal on metal, no friction material left at all. My mechanic feels that continued use of the car (TC sending metal through the system) would have eventually caused more damage. Total cost for everything I had done was about $1600. I would recomend this guy to anyone, if you are in the Minneapolis area and looking for help I can hook you up with him. He has created a database of problems along with healthy data from my car. He also told me that the guy who rebuilt the TC has done 20 trans rebuilds recently 19 of them the TC was fried. Long winded I know, but if you suspect your TC I would change it sooner than later.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:56 AM

if you did the TC, why not rebuild the clutches on the tranny?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Sounds interesting, but I would like to hear your report in a month

To see if it comes back or not.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Sounds interesting, but I would like to hear your report in a month

Not quite sure why the TC would grenade itself again in a month? But I will definatley let you know.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: if you did the TC, why not rebuild the clutches on the tranny?

I considered that. I asked the tranny guy that same question. He said he did not see any abnormal wear material in the pan and said he saw no reason to do it.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default The TCU will learn and the hunting may begin again

The throttle position sensor fix on my car worked great, but after a month or more it is now going back to its bad habbits more and more.

I have a rebuilt TC in my transmission, no change.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: The TCU will learn and the hunting may begin again

Sorry to hear that the TC did not fix your car. Did it initially correct anything? Do you know the condition of the removed unit? Are you confident in the rebuilt unit? I only ask this because I know the condition of mine. It was totally shot. The same unit (rebuilt of course) is in my car and it is fixed. As I said my tranny guy was really surprized when the sticky valve in the VB did not fix it. He said the last one he worked on had the same issues and correcting the sticky valve fixed it.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please send contact information. I am also in Mpls. Thanks
Old 03-13-2007, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I don't get this.

1; Only big companies with good reputation rebuild TC. I know for a fact, they don't rebuilt TC if it is steel to steel.
2; There is no way it was steel to steel. It wouldn't hold lockup, it would burn up the fluid in 10 minutes (ruining the tranny) and it would be extremely noisy. We put a brand new TC in Tony's car two weeks ago with a rebuilt tranny and it haunted right away. After the valve body modification (last Saturday) all haunting is gone. All I have to figure out how to move the shift points a bit higher.
Don't misunderstand me, I am happy if you happy. I just don't get it, why they have to make up stories to make the customer happy.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2nd. I just showed Tony how flat an O-ring can be after 100K miles.

Unfortunately ZF uses O-rings instead of D-rings. after 100K O-rings can blow any time. Eddie was working on an Mercedes ML last week and all the seals were in good shape. They use D-rings.

Quick Reply: Hunting and Thumping