A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurrah !! and help !!!! probably the 1st of many slightly dumb questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hurrah !! and help !!!! probably the 1st of many slightly dumb questions..

After much longful wishing I'm now the proud owner of a 2000 silver over black A8 with a bunch of toys including, possibly, navigation. I say possibly 'cos I have the control panel, i have the disks and the box in the trunk, and i have a pleasant female voice that says" the language you have selected is ready to use" when i pull out and plug in all the power cables. What i don't have is any kind of display. The stalk "reset" switch will turn the display on or off, and the "menu" button and dial in the center console work fine, but none of the other buttons do much. All the fuses seem ok. On the back of the actual nav disk player, there's the GPS antenna and a couple of other connectors, but there are also 2 vacant slots. Am I missing some wiring ? Any help / photos of hook ups etc hugely appreciated. Really lovely car though :-)
Old 05-10-2004, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I'm I missing something here, did you steal it? Why wouldn't you have asked the prior

owner or the dealer you bought it from, these type of questions.

I know, you bought it off eBay, sight un-seen or a wholesaler!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Perpetually confused

Default Re: I'm I missing something here, did you steal it? Why wouldn't you have asked the prior

Yup, that's right. I stole it from the certified used cars lot of a large Toyota dealer here in Portland. If only I'd not so carelessly left a fat check behind, I'd have probably gotten away with it. I burgled Navtech for a set of map discs too, as the car didn't come with any.
Still, cheers mate for taking time away from beating the servants to provide the helpful/insightful reply.

So, anybody nice out there able to help ?

cheers
Old 05-10-2004, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess Toyota has a different meaning of "certified". Sorry for any

off the wall comments written in jest. Still no answers for you though. Can you take it back to the dealer since it was certified?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there are two types of nav disks and they are not compatible.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:57 AM

I see you are new here. Try asking on the Audio and Electronics Forum here at AudiWorld.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:37 AM

Default I have the same year A8 - if you need a nav disk,

(and you're in the eastern US) I know someone who knows someone who . . . let me know.
I looked at my nav unit at lunch today and it looks like I'd have to dismount it to get a photo of the back, but I can do this if you need one.

Oh, and don't mind AA, he just likes to come over from the D3 forum and harass us plebeians once in a while. 8^)
Old 05-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Perpetually confused

Default Re: I have the same year A8 - if you need a nav disk,

cheers, thanks for the kind offer- no need to go pulling your car apart for me ;-)
I'll take some shots of mine later and post 'em, see if anybody notices anything amiss. I've got the c-navi, and the c-navi disks, so i don't think that's it. I'm kinda looking at the non wired ports on the back of the cd rom unit and wonderering if i'm missing some wiring harness bits. Next step will be to pull the center console and take a gander at the controls and make sure they're getting some kind of voltage. I'll ask over at the A & E forum too.
cheers
Old 05-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Perpetually confused

Default Re: I guess Toyota has a different meaning of "certified". Sorry for any

S'arite mate :-) Nope, can't take it back, as although certified it doesn't come with a warranty. Think they just make sure it has a wheel at each corner and that there's no obvious flames coming out of anywhere. I've had it for 3 weeks now too and put 1200 miles on it, it runs beautifully. Just the nav-lessness is kind of a bugger.
cheers
Old 05-10-2004, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Believe me...I'm a "commoner" as well. Don't forget my "priors list" of Audi's

Quick Reply: Hurrah !! and help !!!! probably the 1st of many slightly dumb questions..