A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I removed my intake manifold this weekend, pictures....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I removed my intake manifold this weekend, pictures....

So I went to the dyno last weekend to get a baseline before the supercharger install (more on that later) and it didn't go well. Long story short both of my intake manifold adjuster were frozen in place.

While examining my intake manifold later that night I noticed that the majority of the intake manifold bolts were snug at best. The bolts that keep the 2 halves of the intake manifold its self together were not much tighter. I decided that between the possible intake manifold leaks and stuck adjusters it was time to pull in off and repair both problems.

*when I initially got my A8 both intake manifold adjusters were broken. I replaced them but never paid much attention to there movement. It wasn't until i was making pulls on the dyno that i noticed that they were not moving (jammed). I would suggest that everyone with a 40v try and move then by hand to make sure they are not having the same problem I had.

Anyways here are the pictures of the intake manifold. I only took pictures putting it back together.... I guess if you were looking for instructions just look at them in the reverse order haha.

As for the supercharger. I work at a small race car company running the shop and I do all of our CAD drawing through a program called Solidworks. We are fortunate enough to have a CNC machine as well as a medium sized laser table. After seeing a few attempts at supercharging I decided to take a crack at it as well as a few other products I thought were lacking for the D2's. All the brackets are laser cut and designed in CAD. I am working with a local shop called GoodSpeed (where I dyno) for the engine management. The super charger is a vortech V1 running 5lbs of boost. I also have a few really nice brake upgrade kits for the non S8 guys. The one i am putting on my car is using a porsche Big red caliper, D3 W12 285mm discs and a caliper mount that a designed and is cut on the CNC machine. Hoping I should have everything available if anyone else is looking for similar upgrades in the next few months as well as a ton of pitures.<ul><li><a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/vwgti16vt/Audi%20A8/40v%20intake%20manifold/">http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/vwgti16vt/Audi%20A8/40v%20intake%20manifold/</a</li></ul>
Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 PM

Mine were also very loose when I pulled it off.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default so, are you saying that they should move by hand when the intake is installed?

on my new car, I'm testing out Pearl A8's connecting arms since both of mine were broken.
I don't think I can move either of them by hand though so maybe they're not being "tested" at all.

I'm pretty sure that's true on my wife's car too. I'm going to check them and verify that they move with me under the hood.

Bob
Old 08-24-2008, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

the power increase was amazing with everything working correctly!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:29 AM

Default Nice images, thank you. What exactly was the failure mode?

Upon teardown, were you able to get it unjammed w/o replacing any internal parts? Mine's stuck also, bilaterally, so I'm de facto "static testing" the excellent high-tech prototype dogbones from Mr. Noll. I think I'm getting gaskets in the mail tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Unfortunately it fails in the high rpm mode.

Technically mine froze so they weren't in any position. But when the little arm that connects the vacuum solenoid to the intake adjuster arm brakes they move into the high rpm position.

I noticed a massive change in low end power immediately. And since mine in failed between positions there was a change in high end power, but not as noticeable.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nice pix. I'm very interested in your brake mod!

Do you have projected pricing yet? What model Porsche/Brembo calipers are you utilizing? More info, please...