A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think Audi needs a redesign on the redesign of the A8 before it hits the market!!! The spy shots

Old 07-11-2002, 08:05 AM
V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you even read the press release? The new A8 has ...

many features found on the Avantissimo
ALS (Adaptive lighting system)
MMI (similair to i-drive)
Adaptive Air suspension
ACC (Adaptive cruise control)
And of course ASF (now 60% more rigid)
Old 07-11-2002, 08:38 AM

Default Keyless entry, and more general observations

mmmmhhh....
you seem to go over and over again about that keyless entry... It sounds like the A8 will have something of that nature with a gradual remote authorization as the driver approaches the car.

Their system might be described in 6 words in the press release, but they already presented it a few months ago in a another press release.
Just bringing my modest contribution...

IMHO, the car does not look revolutionnary but it certainly does not look bad. If I'm not mistaken, the first A8's strength was its aluminum chassis and its technology, its style was somewhat the conclusion of an styling era for Audi.

I believe that this is what they want to do this time too:
In the latest Automobile Magazine, there is an interview of VW group's big boss, Mr Pischetsrieder confirming that the new A8's role is not to push Audi's style forward, that role incombs to other models (remember a certain TT, or an A6, both of which defined the neo-bauhaus direction of Audi!).

I think the next iteration will come with the A3 and the A6 in the coming 2 years.
Until then... I'd really be curious to see the A8 "in the metal" because pictures can be deceptive.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yes I have it did take some, MMI, ... etc .. but more styling queues should

have been taken, the car, still looks bland, the security access system should have been used, the bi-xenon lights, etc ... my point is in comparison to the BMW 7-Series and especially the MB S-Class, CL, SL ...(etc any of MB's super luxo class cars), the Audi A8, is just not up to par, Air suspension(not new) MB has been using it, also, check out new electronic breaking system on SL, the point is the A8 has made some improvements, it's just not enough to compete in class, especially since (they have an extra year or two years for release in comparison their competitors).

The A8 stylistically is very lacking, it exudes nothing, I mean when you look at the car, what do you think of?

I think of nothing, if I had to come up with words to describe the styling, I think bland, dull and boring, conservative. That's not a good thing.

I look at the S-Class, and think stealthy, cool, look at them cat eye's it looks like the car, is just gliding up on me like a graceful beast.

I look at the 7-Series, and I think sporty, robust, voluptuous, powerful, quick definitely a bimmer.

I don't get much of any feeling when I look at the new A8, except for average, well ok, there's another car on the road, it stirs nothing?
Old 07-11-2002, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No, I think your misunderstanding me, ....

It's not a question of pushing Audi's styling forward, it's a question of competing in your class. The A8, is revolutionary, by maybe Audi standards as far as technology and styling etc, ... is concerned but not so for it's class. The MMI system even is already been employed by BMW. The point I'm trying to get at is that my feeling is the flag ship of a car company, by default, should be just that a flag ship, a means to say to the world da*n't we've got the biggest guns on the block. You should look upon that vessel as though it is a marvel a wonder, it announces your arrival.

The A8 does none of that, stylistically, or technologically, it in appearance and attributes save for the MMI system, is just another luxury car, it's just the average the norm, nothing new under the soon.

as for the keyless entry, the car certainly has a key, look at the console. What I was talking about with MB is even the key is state of the art, MB was the first to use laser cut keys, etc they are the first and only to use, laser/radio frequency encoded keys and the key card is a marvel, is it necessary no(but is anything luxury necessary) ... their technology is always a step ahead of everyone else. The electronic brakes, etc ...

And this is what I'm saying is missing with the A8, when we talk about luxury, we are talking about the unnecessary, the A8 is a good car, I'm not saying that it isn't. It's built well, but so what, so is every other luxury that's why it's called luxury. It has a few gadgets but so what, so does everyone else.

The A8 has all the standards, but what makes the car stand out, nothing, it's average, it's boring, it's not innovative, it's not revolutionary, MMI (well BMW beat them too the punch, old news) ... but do you see what I'm trying to say. The A8 is a good car, no doubt, but it has nothing to it that would make it stand out in it's class.

The A8 uninspiring, that's the only way I can describe it. Audi has great technology in the works, and has momentum, and I felt they could have continued that moment with an A8 that set the bar, not tried to just meet it.

MB's and BMW both try to be that much ahead of the rest in it's class, and it's the very reason why the S-Class and 7-Series are the best sellers in this class. Save for American made Lincolns and Catty's.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:54 AM

Default Geez, let's wait until...

people have had a chance to test drive the new A8 before proclaiming that it brings nothing to the table.

acadia is certainly right in saying that the A8 does not match the S-class in terms of gadgets, but if the 60% increase in rigidity and new suspension were done well the A8 could very well be the better of the S-class in terms of driving pleasure (and for some people -- even rich people -- that's more important than gadgets).
Old 07-11-2002, 10:57 AM

Default Re: the new agressive mantle is already won........

>>The light wood trim will probably make it to production. However, it will most likely be offered in Europe only. Americans will most likely only get the dark wood trim.<<

I thought it was the other way around? Aren't beige interiors anathema in Europe?

Looks to me like Audi was trying to mimic the look of the Lexus SC 430 with all that beige and light wood. Quite tacky in my opinion, I can't wait to see the car with a dark interior.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:59 AM

Default Where did you hear that...

about the A3? If that's true I'll be really disappointed. I too am a big fan of the Steppenwolf and if the new A3 will also be conservative than what the hell is Audi waiting for vis-a-vis their new "aggressive" approach?
Old 07-11-2002, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Based on posts I've seen here, I think your views on the 7 represent the minority

Don't get me wrong...I actually like the new 7, and I love the S class, but most of the responses to the styling of the 7 have been lukewarm at best. Many here at Audiworld have blasted the styling of the new 7. There is a point where the more modern, sporty looking vehicle becomes too much of a good thing, and that seems to be the case with the new 7 (again, based on comments here, at vwvortex, among many other places). I think we all assume that Audi owners are all enthusiasts who enjoy a car with a sporty (for lack of a better word) enthusiast feel to it. Yet, the beauty of the A8 has always been it's clean, understated yet classic styling. IMO, and it's only mine, they've done a good job keeping the car along those same lines, while refreshing the overall design. As is the case with the current A8, those who don't own one will never know what they're missing...
Old 07-11-2002, 12:08 PM
V

Default That is what the European press is reporting...

but I hope they are wrong, as there has not been any spy shots of the new A3 taken.

With a new boss and new head of design, Audi will once agian push the envelope when it comes to design. But the question is when and with which model.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default new 7 Series is tremendously ugly, though.

IMO, the new A8 is way nicer than that awful new 7 Series.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think Audi needs a redesign on the redesign of the A8 before it hits the market!!! The spy shots