A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake manifold help! (and rear breather hose info)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake manifold help! (and rear breather hose info)

I had been planning to replace the rear crankcase breather hoses while doing the valve cover gaskets, based on how the front one decayed.

So I just pulled off the port hose without too much trouble. There is a one-time use clamp way down on the back of the block which is almost impossible to reach, but I fashioned a hook from some random thing and popped the clamp sideways and apart. Not sure how I'm going to replace it, but I'll crosss that bridge when I come to it. Once I had it off, it just tore when I squeezed it. No more substantial than chewing gum.

The thing that has me stymied is the starboard hose that runs to just in front of the throttle body. There is a clamp on the bottom of it, but I can not see *any* way to reach it, to remove it, or to replace it, without pulling off the intake manifold. I know it must be as bad as the other two hoses, so I don't dare leave it go.

And I'm at my dad's for a week without my Bentley's, so I need a few hints.

I see only four studs and four bolts holding the intake manifold down. That seems unlikely. Are there more somewhere?

I assume there is a gasket under the manifold, isn't there?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I decided to leave it be for now

I couldn't get at a worm-drive clamp on the base of the one rear hose, so I put a zip tie on it. I'll revisit it once I have the manifold off, which will have to wait until I get home.