A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had enough!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've had enough!!

Does any problem on this car cost less than $1,500 to fix? Okay, I'll admit, I like the way my A-8L drives more than any other I've ever had...mercedes, BMW's, Lexus, you name it. The overall feel and power and ambience cannot be beat. But what price is too much? $1,500 for a new transmission module for the tiptronic, $1,600 to replace the computer board that controls the dual climate control, $1,500 for a new timing belt, $1,400 to discover a couple leaking valve stems...and the list goes on and on and on. I've had it! I'm dumping this piece of ****. I don't know how Audi does it...how do they keep the kind of consumer appeal they have when everyone knows that everytime they have a problem it's going to cost them an arm and a leg?
Old 12-12-2003, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default You've paid all of that? I would find somebody with better troubleshooting skills!

Why did the transmission module need to be replaced? And if it did, why didn't you get a used one from a junked car?

$1600 for a computer to control the dual climate control? Please. I just passed on one for $350 out of a junked car because it was too costly. List price for the thing is something like $800. Installing it on an 00 and newer is not very difficult....just has four electrical plugs on it.

The timing belt? $1500 is the going price from the stealer...hope they replaced all the other parts too while in there. On the 00 and newer cars, it appears to be an easier job than on the 99 and older cars.

Leaking valve stems? Did they replace them? $1400?

Well, if I dropped all of that money into my car, I couldn't afford it, I would just buy something with a factory or extended warranty. Those prices are ridiculous. Check here first before paying for this stuff, we can probably send you in the right direction.

Good luck with your Lexus! ;-)

pw
Old 12-12-2003, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You cant disagree with that.

I think their repair costs are insane. No offense to any audi mechanics out there, but every tech i have spoken to knows less of the car than i do. They do not deserve the 90-130 hr labor rate. Lets look at the new A8's why do they need to call Germany every time theres a problem? Because they dont know. Every time i brought my 5000S A6 A8 into the dealer its all ways guess work. NOBODY can give me a definate answer without replacing things 3 4 or even 5 times! AND WE EAT THE COST! My A6 has had everything replaced but the broken part. If i knew that my coolant resevior was cracked i would have made them replace that, not attempt to give me a new gasket set!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default that's one of the reasons why resale value is so low.

but stubborn people like me stick it out because when the car is working fine, it's a beautiful thing.

see what happens when you take vw parts and try to dress them up for a premium product?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You've paid all of that? I would find somebody with better troubleshooting skills!

I went out and bought a third party warrantee for $2200. My car had to be inspected but it starts now at 64k. It is for bumper to bumper, 4/60,000 miles. My friends thought I was crazy but my response was, "It is an Audi". I had many german cars but know nothing about Audis. I do my own repairs on my other cars but I don't think I will do it on my Audi.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't perceive contemporary BMW's/MB's to be cheaper to service..

As we say in my country, "silk underwear require skilled bottoms". I.e., the cost of servicing & keeping a premium car exceeds the cost of buying it.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Some people just have bad luck?

I bought my car very cheap with 97K on it. I spent about $2000 on maintenance and fixing things when I brought it home. Since then I've driven the car 11,000 miles in about 9 months. I've repalced the alternator for $250 and a lower control arm for another $250. My mechanic charges me $55 hr and he is factory trained on the A8. Stealers are evil, they're used to billing the factory for waranty work. They just start replacing things, it's easier for them than finding the problem. If you can't appreciate the car and accept some of the problems buy an accord, they cost nothing to drive but they're very vanilla.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:26 PM

Default A question for ya.

If you add to what you paid for the car, all of the "repairs," are you over 50% of what a new one would have cost you?
Old 12-12-2003, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Which A6 did you have? 2.8, 3.0, 2.7T or 4.2?

My guess is either the 2.8 or 2.7T.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same holds true for Jaguar

In fact Jaguar's resale values are even lower than Audi's resale values because everything that goes wrong with an Audi goes even more wrong with Jaguars. Of course, the 1998+ XJs are an exception. That combined with their exceptional popularity as of late is the one and only reason why Jaguar scored so damn well with JD Power and Associates. Otherwise, Jaguar would have scored even more poorly with JD Power and Associates than Audi/VW has.

Quick Reply: I've had enough!!