A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just watched the movie Ronin and...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just watched the movie Ronin and...

oh boy what can I say... I just love those four circles... now Im going to the garage to give some kisses on my A4 (yeah aint no S8 but what the hell Im just 19, I still have plenty of time to earn enough money, and when this time come I think the RS8 will be already avaliable :] )

remember, you cant lead if you follow
Old 03-04-2002, 08:30 PM

Default Did you know...

... that they had to disable the Quattro to get the S8 to slide around like that?
The Peugot in the cool early chase was only offered with a 170 horse motor (would have been embedded inside those four rings in the real world).
That is a GREAT movie -- one of my favorites. Excellent acting jobs by a number of great actors. Phenomenal car chase scenes. That older 'Benz provided some nice impressions of how much of a vault the vehicles of the older generation were -- could you imagine what would happen if you slammed a new 500 around like that?!?! "Warning -- limp home mode engaged -- prepare to be passed by Ford Festivas..."
That DVD gets a lot of replay's at my place.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A classic. I worked the Audi stand at the car show after the movie came out.

All these kids were dragging their parents up to the A8 and drooling on it while the parents just looked bored. They'd be asking, " is this the car in Ronin ?" or " where is the car from Ronin ?"

What Audi could have done with a good chase movie and the S4.....
Old 03-05-2002, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

HUH?? How do you "disable" quattro?? Can't do that on the S8 w/o a LOT of work!!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe he meant the ESP button?!
Old 03-06-2002, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Even if, that is a LONGway from "disabling" quattro!!! So what did you mean Chris??
Old 03-06-2002, 07:13 PM

Default Disconnect the drive shaft to the rear.

... same thing the do for dyno checks when they don't have a 4-wheel dyno.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Even if, that is a LONGway from "disabling" quattro!!! So what did you mean Chris??

I have a S8 that looks like the one in the movie , exact the same color combination , and i can slide it like that without much effort ... Where'd ya hear they disconnected quattro? Just pull the e-brake for a while when going on quite good speed and you start drifting , don't be affraid it won't roll over on a flat road... Anyway i prefer drifting on snow , it's more fun...
Old 03-11-2002, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That doesn't work with quattro!! The Torsen diff won't allow that....(m)

I'm not sure what all the sensors (ESP, EDL, etc..) will cause, but with a straight Torsen diff that won't do anything.

A Torsen differential is based off the LEAST traction wheels. The most traction the car can have is THREE times the least traction. I know that ESP and EDL blur the line a bit but I don't "think" it will change it enough to overcome the physics of the Torsen diff (but I don't know for sure).

For example...if I take my 80q (quattro II) and jack up the front (or rear wheels) get in the car and try to drive off....Do you know what will happen?? <b>Nothing!!!</b>

With one set of wheels jacked in the air the least traction is ZERO. We all know what zero times three is!! (This phenomonen is the same as what would happen with a FWD car is you jacked up one wheel and tried to drive off..."spin-up" to the jacked wheel)

NOTE: I haven't tried this "test" with my A6 (quattro IV) so I'm not sure what the addition of EDL will do. I'll have to try it when winter is finished here.

I've said WAY to much on the subject. If anyone has any questions I love to talk Torsen But as I said before I do <b>NOT</b> know for sure what happens with the effects of EDL and/or ESP!! Best Regards to All.

P.S. If somebody with EDL and ESP wants to try the test and report back that would be great.....BE CAREFUL and do so at your OWN risk!! I can test EDL with my A6 but not ESP.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:38 PM

Default Yes, It's a system, and there are several changes required,

including defeating the ABS, tricking/overriding other mechanical and electronic components (force a lockup), etc.
BTW, I read this in a set of background info on the making of the movie -- the way they did the car chases; the modifications they made to the various vehicles; etc. Some of this stuff is beyond the scope of shade tree mechanics and basic bench racing (i.e., don't try this at home!! )
Remember that being able to make the car spin in a controlled manner and project it down a particular trajectory in a consistent manner is no small feat -- even when the vehicle is cooperating with, as opposed to fighting, your efforts to do so. Ever put a bit too much armor-all on your tires?

Quick Reply: just watched the movie Ronin and...