A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Replacement Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Default K&N Replacement Air Filter

I'm thinking about replacing the current standard paper air filter in my S8 with a K&N replacement air filter. The K&N filer will cost me about $60 (including shipping) but I won't have to ever replace the air filter again. Therefor not having to pay for a new paper air filter every 15,000 miles.

My 2001 S8 is new to me (7 weeks) and has 91,000. I put on around 10,000 miles a year. I know there will be maintenance (cleaning and re-oiling of the filter) at around the 50,000 mile mark.

K&N claims to improve horsepower and mileage but I'm looking at it from an economical standpoint.

Has anybody made the switch to a K&N filter? What's been your experience?

David
2001 S8 Black on Black
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

K&N is all I've used in every car I've owned since they came out.

You will get mixed opinions on this.

K&N does improve airflow and HP (esp at high rpms), but allows more microscopic dust through...This has never effected anything in any car I've owned (VW's, Porsche's and Audi's)...MAF stays clean as whistle and my entire intake system is spotless internally, including throttle body. I have NEVER had a catalytic converter clog. No ill effects of ANY kind on ANY car at any mileage...100's of K's of miles.

Intake air does not need to be as clean as paper filters produce...the microscopic powder dust that may come through a K&N does nothing but pass right through the engine...NO effect.

You do have to maintain the K&N...clean it out with grease cutter (K&N filter cleaner) and re-oil w/K&N oil periodically or it won't maintain it's air flow. If you just leave a K&N unserviced, the filter oil cloth will clog up and have much less airflow than a paper filter.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Sounds like a pretty good testimonial : ) I'll be placing my order tonight and installing this week.

Thanks for the quick response.

David
2001 S8 Black on Black
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had K&N or oiled foam filters on nearly every vehicle I've owned over the years with pretty good results.

However, on my 2004 A8L, it tripped the CEL until I wrapped the filter in a few paper towels to suck up all the excess oil that was on that filter right out of the box from K&N.

One of the highest quality filters I've ever owned is a Pipercross filter for my Yamaha FZ1. Great oiled foam filter, that works on the same idea the oiled cotton gauze does.

Also, years ago, talking to an automotive Engineer about intakes, filters and oiled systems v/s dry paper, he pointed out that nearly all oiled systems will trap the larger particles on the OUTER layers of the filter, while the smaller and smaller stuff is trapped deeper into the media. The oil soaks the newly trapped debris/dirt, and that then in turn becomes more filter media over time.

He pointed out that many oiled foam filters will use two or more types of foam, to enhance this effect, and extend the need to clean them for full air flow. His advice was to never fully clean any oiled filter, but to gently knock the dirt off the outside, and then oil what was still stuck to the filter media since the oil does not care if it's sticking dirt to cotton, plastic foam, or equally sticky debris build up on the filter media.

Just a thought, but I have since never used the solvent on any oiled filter, just remove them, knock the dirt off, or if shop vac is around, use it to suck the dirt off the OUTSIDE of the filter, and then re-oil.

Works great so far.

Last edited by Adjuster; 04-14-2013 at 10:54 PM.