A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keyless enrty works sporadically

Old 03-08-2002, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyless enrty works sporadically

The keyless entry does not always lock or unlock my 97 A8. I replaced the battery in the key fob, but it dosn't seem to help. The problem seems worse in damp weather, or if the car has not been driven for a few days. No other electrical component has problems. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2002, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: keyless enrty works sporadically

I had the same exact problem and replaced the battery a second time and got them at Radio Shack in a sealed package, rather than the unsealed loose ones the dealer sold me, and it's worked fine ever since. You may want to try that next. Also be sure the little mini black post on the inside on the remote is not missing or broken. That holds the two batteries neatly stacked on top of one another. With that little post missing, the top battery can move and change it's position and when that happens, you are loosing contact, therefore, never making a connection and causing your remote to work sporadically. If the little post is missing, and you find it inside the casing, go buy yourself some Super Glue and glue it back into place and save yourself the $150 on buying a new remote. If you see that the post is not there and you cant find it, improvise. It's a must the two batteries are stacked one on top of the other and they maintain their position so the batteries can not float around.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

dommi3/Tiburon, CA
1997 A8 Silver/Gray
17" Audi Wheels
Every Possible Option
--------------------
Previous Audi
1990 V8 Quattro
Old 03-09-2002, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A similar thing happens to me regularly...

It only happens a couple of times a month though. I get the impression it does that when maybe the receiver gets a mixed/incomplete signal? The reason I'm thinking this is because if the car doesn't open using the remote control it DOES work 5 seconds later after I unlock and lock the car with my key. It's almost like it needs ultimate proof you are the genuine owner by using a good old metal key. If any of you have been laughing while reading this response, you probably know the true story. Please let me know.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm laughing, because that exactly how it started with me too. I'm sure that story is not unique. Ultimately, the problem was solved with the fresh batteries.

dommi3/Tiburon, CA
1997 A8 Silver/Gray
17" Audi Wheels
Every Possible Option
--------------------
Previous Audi
1990 V8 Quattro
Old 03-11-2002, 06:10 AM

This seems to be the case of the slipping batteries. I knew the batteries were good (Batteries Plus opened a new package and actually tested them before inserting them in the fob). I opened up the fob myself and the plastic post was missing. I couldn't find anything appropriate to glue in the post's place, so I cut a styrofoam packing peanut to size. When the fob is closed the batteries have nowhere to go. The remote hasn't failed since implementing this highly technical enhancement. Thanks for your help!