A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Term Tozo Valve Body Modification Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Facelift climate control

It's been installed for a long time, works great, had to put a AC compressor switch in to turn the compressor on.....and I lost the temperature reading in the dash because it is on the CAN bus which my car doesn't have.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the trailing throttle jolt "like a manual transmission" a feature of the Stage 1 mod?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, and now it's gone with the adjustment made last nigtht
Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Once addressed, your breed of hunting should go away as abruptly as it started

I'm glad the Stage 2 mod gets rid of what sounded like an out-of-spec bias toward lockup.

Tom
Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed

When Gabor did the stage I mod for dropout, I could tell that the TC was locked up (actually should say slipping) at a much lower slip number than stock. Locked pretty hard (virtually no slip).

This could be seen in vag-com also.

He adjusts something else (they wouldn't even let me know) in the valve body to compensate for the hunting versus the highway drop out.

When Eddie went for a test drive with me last night so I could show him that the hunting was still present, he said in about 2 seconds "it's the throttle position sensor" as most are adjustable. We showed him the idle switch and how it worked, and that it was adjust correctly.

On a GM car, they would just advance the TPS so it gave a higher throttle position and that would settle the control units down.

So either a 400 ohm resistor in series with the thing (that's my idea) or one more adjustment and we might get rid of the hunting.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woo hoo!!! go Paul and Tozo and Eddie. keep us posted.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:13 AM

Are you kidding? Audi should sign you up as a consulting engineer.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Your workaround resistor might be enough to keep it from hunting, but it's bad for science

Its absence is obviously not what made it start hunting.
And if your engine load/torque numbers don't agree with those of a non-hunting car, you'd have that lead to follow.
Still, the resistor might do the trick...

There must be a good explanation of how things now being adjusted in the transmission could have been completely good enough to prevent hunting one day then completely bad enough to cause it the next day. And there must be another good explanation of how, if your hunting and highway-speed coasting dropout turned up together, they can be properly fixed separately.

Without such explanations, there's a nagging suspicion that some of the valve body work -- especially the earlier "bias it toward lockup" approach -- is like your proposed TPS resistor in terms of not specifically addressing underlying causes.

I lack the insight to come up with such explanations, but don't doubt Gabor's determination or ability to understand and implement a complete, in-spec fix. There's probably nobody outside ZF more familiar with the problem!

Tom
Old 04-19-2007, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Since I have so much free time, I just bought a complete intake with the throttle body on ebay.

Time for some porting, polishing and TPS modifying.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unbelievable dedication and commitment, Tozo. You seem very determined to fix it for good.

Quick Reply: Long Term Tozo Valve Body Modification Update