A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buy 97 - high milage question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy 97 - high milage question

I have read a few posts and would like to clarify a question I have. I am looking for purchase a 97 A8 4.2Q (just thinking about it make me smile) so - I have seen some with high miles and wonder when the timimg belt/water pump should be replaced. Also, how could I protect myself from having to pay for such a repair, should it happen? Does Audi have a extendended warrenty I can purchase?
Old 06-12-2001, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi/Audi dealers can go up to 5 years old and 75K miles. Up to 100K miles and 7 yrs on a lease.

The tranny is what needs the most care. Water pump/timing belt can fail, but I would guess not very often. As the guys here have said, look for a regular pattern of maintainence.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:37 AM

Default How much does it cost to replace/rebuild the tranny? (rough est)

a high milage car with no warrenty could get expensive if the tranny goes. Just worried about it going right after I get it.(naturally)
Old 06-13-2001, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: How much does it cost to replace/rebuild the tranny? (rough est)

I don't know what you are considering high miles. I recently purchased a 97' a8 with 62K. I really enjoy the car and am getting over some of the issues I have with the ergonomics such as no console! I am interested in after market warrantee's but, don't know of where to go. 62K to me is low miles but I've put a lot of miles on MBZ (diesels 250k plus a couple of times).

April, it seems from what I have read the torque converter seals go bad, which causes transmission failure? Has Audi officially recognized this as an issue? My thoughts are they would look to avoid any "transmission" issues due to the "sudden acceleration" debate of the 80's. It seams that the mileage has been pretty low when they have gone out.
Old 06-13-2001, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: looking to buy 97 - high milage question

What is high milage? In my book it would be more than 150.000 miles, then you *start* talking a bit high for such a car. But it will probably take the double with a smile. With some love, care and a bit of maintenance of course.

I have seen and driven several A8's with 100-150K miles, they still look and feel pretty much like new.

Also, remember that the '97 was *not* the first model, that was only in the US. In europe they first hit the roads in spring '94. There where several minor changes and improvemens between '94 and '97.

The main problem for the US '97 model is the old 4-speed non-tiptronic tranny. The european versions had the tiptronic from '94, 4-speed until '96, 5-speed from '97.

There are very few problems with these tiptronic boxes. You will see high milage cars with engine replacements now and then, but very few with tranny changes. Not so with the older US-only 4-speed box. I would advise you to try to get a tiptronic one ('98 model in the US), or perhaps find out what it would cost to change the '97 box into a tiptronic just in case. You could easily import a tiptronic box from europe, they are not that hard to get by from salvagers. I don't know the price though.

Regarding timing belt, it is normally due for replacement at the 120.000 Km service (75K miles), but in some areas with cold climate they recommend it changed at 90K Km intervals (56K miles). This is not a big deal, 5-6 hours of labour if my mind serves me right. Never gamble with this, just change it according to the right interval in the service manual, and everything will be fine. The repear will be _very_ expensive if it breaks.

Another problem with *all* A8's, and most other newer Audis is the front suspension. The rubber bushings don't match the aluminum components to well, and it will start squeeling after a while. This should be repaired under factory warranty for at least five years, unlimited milage. I have changed all components in the front suspension under factory warranty, the last time just this monday, when they changed the lower, rear parts in the front suspension.

If this problem is solved, it is quit recently. The dealer just told me that they got a new type of suspension components in january that was supposed to last longer. They had not had any returns of these yet, opposed to the former replacements that typically came back for a new replacement after 40-70K miles.

I wish you luck in finding the perfect car!

Best regards,
Kjell A
Oslo, Norway
'97 A8 4,2 qt sport
Old 06-13-2001, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KjellA has some good points. I know replacement of a Tip is about 7K. Not sure about non-Tip.

The tranny issue usually manifests itself in the first 100K. Most often in the 40 to 70 range. When the seal goes ( floatinghat is right ), the car looses the ability to send power to the wheels. It is unintended deceleration ;-( The rest of the car is very reliable. I've seen '97s without issues that have well over 200K on the clock.

Powertrain warrantees are probobly what you want most to check out. The A6 forum has a thread in the last few pages about aftermarket warrantees.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I own a US 97 A8Q. It has a 5-speed auto. trans. My mechanic did some research on the transmissiion before I bought the car. The 97 transmission is identical to the 98 (same part number) and later except for the tipronic feature. The tip feature can be added to the 97 as several have done.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

KjellA,

Question on the 4 speed US tranny? I believe they are 5 speeds, mine begins at 2 continues to 4 and then has a drive selection. would you consider this a 4 or 5 speed or where there different transmissions available in 97?

As both April and KjellA have stated the rest of the cars appear strong. Other than gizmo issues.
Old 06-14-2001, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it is the same box but without the tiptronic functionality, why does it have problems at all? The '97 tiptronic ones don't have gearbox problems.

--
/Kjell A
Old 06-14-2001, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just thought it was the 4-speed auto that was used in the US A8, I really don't know if it is 4 or 5, I never saw or tried it. If you have manual choices of 2, 3, 4 and "D" I would certainly say it is a 5-speed.

The point was that it is a non-tiptronic box, opposed to the euro-versions, that had tiptronic since '94.

Best regards,
Kjell A

Quick Reply: looking to buy 97 - high milage question