A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an S8, i have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for an S8, i have a few questions

First off im an audi newb (first post) and i might be interested in getting a S8 pretty soon. Problem is, i have a couple questions and i cant seem to find any answers. So, if you could, feel free to add answers and opinions!

A) What are the differences in years? (01, 02, and 03)

B) Im worried about regular maintainence, is that a killer with these cars? Or would i be ok as long as theres a warrenty?

C) What performance mods are avalible for them? All i have found so far is exhaust... any web sites?

i think thats about it for now...

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll take a stab..

A) 2001, first year in US. 2002 added a sport mode to the tranny, a 6 CD in-dash changer and some minor color differences. 2003 added the RS style wheels, special paint and interior "Audi Exclusive" combos like Avus silver/burgundy, black/caramel and ming blue/platinum No other colors were made. The sport steering wheel was lost in favor of the comfort wheel with stereo controls. Check the model guide/historical section for all the details.

B) Regular maintenance isn't too bad, no worse than other high end German car, perhaps a little better than some BMWs and MBZs. Taking care of the tranny is paramount and regular tranny fluid/fiter changes are highly recommended. Other than oil changes, there will be a necessary timing belt change at around 90K. Overall these engines are very strong and reliable. A certified pre-owned car with a warranty is a nice security blanket, but you will pay a lot more for one at a dealer, most likely thousands more than from a private party or non-Audi dealer.

C) As for performance mods, the most popular are probably bigger brakes, stiffer suspension like H&R coilovers and larger wheels. There are a few exhausts and chips available, but most don't bother because any HP gains are minimal. It's just not worth it with a normally aspirated engine. In my opinion, the car has good power in stock form. If you need more, there are a few tuners out there that will supercharge the 4.2, but most are in Europe except for Mr. Hack, a mad scientist and owner of Motodyne who will supercharge a riding lawn mower and claim 500HP. That about covers it. I currently drive a 98 A8 and plan to move up to an S8 at some point. Good luck and check Paul W's audipages.com for more info.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Looking for an S8, i have a few questions

if you are in the market, let me know, i got to the manhiem auto auctions weekly and can get you the very best price, but the thing is, they come to the block every once and a while.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My '02 S8 Blk on Blk is for sale

Email me and I will send details and pics. Car is in Atlanta, GA pbkirby@bellsouth.net.