A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More about my experience with 1sourceautowarranty.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2001, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More about my experience with 1sourceautowarranty.com

Here are the problems I got with my car:
When I purchased my car about 1.5 months ago, I drove it almost cross country without any problems. It had 60,705 miles on it.
It had its 60k service before I bought the car, and the audi dealer manager I spoke to said they didn't notice ANY problem with the car.
Then at 62,450 miles or 4 days ago,

1. Airbag light went on.
2. I noticed that I saw a drop of oil in my garage.
3. The morning I brought my car in, the engine died on my while I was at a stop light, so I figured that I have them look into it too.

My service dept. diagnosed that
1. the car needed a new driver's-side side airbag.
2. The oil pan was leaking
3. the car needed to have the MAF sensor looked at, dont' know exact problem yet.
4. The car will need new tie-rods.

1sourceautowarranty sent someone out to look at the car and noted that the oil pan had a crack, and likely was pre-existing. I personally didn't even notice a drop of oil until few days ago, but who knows.

Based on that, they decided that the car was misrepresented to them, and the car did have previous problem, and denied ALL my claims.

To be fair, one of the item which I didn't notice was worn tie-rods, which I can understand is a pre-sale condition. In that case, they don't have to pay for that. But new problems that came up which I purchased the insurance for, they sure didn't stand behind.

Even the whole service department at my local Audi dealership had a full day of discussion about this. Their conclusion is that they are telling all their customers to avoid 1sourceautowarranty.com. My service manager could not believe what an outright fraud 1sourceautowarranty practices.

Again, I have proof that my car was in fine condition when I bought the car from another Audi dealership. 1sourceautowarranty just don't want to even hear about it-- it's like talking to a 3 year old who screams "la la la" with his ears covered. Their claims manager was not interested in receiving my fax on pre-purchase condition from the Audi dealership. Nor were they interested in talking to the previous service manager who last serviced that car at 60k without problems, when the service manager told me to have 1sourceautowarranty talk to them.

The claims manager said that how is it possible that all these problems just happen like that. What can I say. I got bad luck with my used car, that's why I bought the insurance when I purchased a used car, and I expect them to stand behind their clams.

According to them, I suppose anything can be a "presale condition" when it comes to a used car. As long as they believe that the problem could have existed way back, they can deny your claim just like that. Despite whatever proof you have.

Consumers needs to be more protected.

I have cancelled my insurance with them, because in my mind, it is as good as spending the 2k insurance premium on the repairs that comes up later. Besides, you won't have to waste your time talking to incompetent and rude claims people. And when I say rude, that is no exaggeration. One of their rep answered the phone as "This is Mike". I had to ask if this is "1sourceautowarranty.com claims dept", and his attitude was "no duh?" When I inquired about why the claim was denied, I counted 14 times, when he just repeated "It's denied, and there is nothing you can do to change that." It's like talking to a monkey. How would anyone like to deal with that?

Consumers be very, very aware when you shop for extended warranty. I made my mistake with buying from 1sourceautowarranty.com, and I hope no one else will.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My experience with extended warranties..

When I bought my M5 it was just under the line for an extended warranty (7 years or newer car). They offered me the warranty for $1500 for two years or 24k if I recall. I, being a lawyer, made the guy fax me the policy. After reading it, I just felt there was far too many "gray" areas in the language, e.g. normal wear and tear, etc. I took the chance and declined.

In my first year of ownership, the only thing that broke that arguably would have been covered was my A/C. It cost me $1k to fix so I figure I came out ahead.

My advice, be prepared to fight with them to get coverage. I would hazard a guess that they may cave to the "squeeky wheel" vs. someone who just accepts their denial.
Old 02-23-2001, 06:19 AM

Default A similiar but successful battle!

My transmission went out over a month ago. I was relieved that I bought the extended warranty from (N/A) on my used A8. They covered a few early problems such as replacing the anti lock sensor and rear brake caliper - not much fuss! But the big one came when the transmission fried. I purchased the top of the line warranty and it most clearly stated the transmission and seals were covered. So it was a shock to me when the dealer called for approval and received the denial! The reason for the denial started with a "preexisting condition" then changed to "not stopping the car soon enough after experiencing problems", on and on..... They are very creative - its their business! FIRST, be sure you have a valid case - if you are stretching it you'll probably loose. You must read every word of your contract! They do have some very vague wording which is intended to be a catch all. Such as "timely fashion" or some wording that you as the policy holder is expected to understand the mechanics of your vehicle... Their goal is to turn the blame back on you the policy holder. Warranty companies are in the business to make money, and they don't do that by dishing it back out. So its a game of stamina. For the big buck items one must bypass the first denial person as quickly as possible. They are the first line of defense. Their job is to get you so frustrated that you give up. If you thought the first person was good at denials, wait till you get to the second and third levels! But you must! I was lucky to have a family member as a lawyer. After the warranty rep. gave me the "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we have internally reviewed your claim and it is denied - and this is final!" I had to proceed with legal help to show that I wasn't going to roll over. I stayed out of it for 3 weeks then called the Warrant rep. to check in and at that time he offered me a settlement on the spot. The options were to take the token cash now, (no way!) find a more reasonable competent repair facility that is cheaper than AUDI or fight it out in arbitration. I accepted the 2nd. I do not have my car back but hope to soon without having to pay a dime. Final lesson! Your AUDI dealer must be your ally! If they don't make a VERY VERY strong case upfront (as in my case) it will be a L O N G drawn out process - though, worth every penny that you paid for it. My warranty cost me $1600. The warranty company will have $6500 into it for this repair with 3 years left on the contract. I better get used to these battles!
Old 02-23-2001, 07:33 AM

Default thanks for your lesson...

As you have predicted, I'm out of stamina in dealing with these people. I have learned my lesson with them, and hope everyone else won't fall to their vauge wording and let them get away with these things.

I work about 100 hr/wk (I'm a resident doc), and I'm not about to waste my precious sleep time dealing with rude leeches.

Hope those with extended-warranty look closely at their contract and realize that they are not the same as the manufacturer warranties.