AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   More on Defective 2004 Audi A8 L(emon) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/more-defective-2004-audi-a8-l-emon-1737917/)

bpower1 07-30-2003 05:04 AM

wow. audi clearly still equals VW. we feel for you.

fusilier 07-30-2003 05:23 AM

Does it act funny with the lights in manual mode?

or just in automatic?

I know that its off when you switch back and forth with the car on/off, but perhaps the system has some adjustment time and this technique is not appropriate. What happens if you leave it in manual and don't mess with it?

If its a lemon, I think you have to stop driving it. That will help your claim that your dissatified with the vehicle.

PaulW 07-30-2003 05:57 AM

A buy back because the auto feature on the headlights doesn't work??? You're kidding right?

You guys need to relax and quit looking at the small stuff, you don't need to get rid of a car because the headlight auto feature doesn't work.

Just turn them on and off manually. I've been doing it my whole life.

fusilier 07-30-2003 06:09 AM

Yeah what he said.. :-)

but,,, it seems like the headlights might be acting funny in manual mode as well. That would be bad.

Xialater 07-30-2003 06:20 AM

Ya know....I understand being upset......

But asking for a buy-back bacause your Headlight sensors aren't working properly, and there was a minor incident with the alarm going off (which might have happened if it was set impoperly.....

Besides the fact that you have already been offered by your rep that they would put you in a different car, and retweak yor lease for the time out of the A8.......Come on now, this is getting to be a bad joke - If ANYONE were to read this board, they'd think the A8 was the worst car ever built (which it might be, haven't had enough time to totally judge them YET, but I'm guessing it will be damn good in the long run).....

You all need to remember that you pay a premium for being the first on the block to have the newest and greatest toys, but with a rollout of new technology, such as the A8, there will be bumps in the road - The first people to buy a Laser disc players, the first DVD players, anyone remember the VHS or Beta debates?? If you have to be the first person to have something, you will be the guinnea pigs for it. Sucks to say, but thats just kind of the way it is in business.....

I really think Hey8's response was intended to add a little humor to a very tense situation - I don't think it was intended to be insensitive at all. Greenie, I understand your response, as from what Dinan, Potsie, and Buybeach has said, you're probably scared sh!tless as to the build quality of A8L you are waiting on delivery....kind of an idea of what is just going on sith society today.....If you aren't happy with something, sue - I heard about a guy on the news today who sued his doctor because he got into the exam room later than his appointment time - Maybe shakespeare was right about Lawyers......

BackToBasics 07-30-2003 07:07 AM

C'mon, both sides cool it!

I agree that Buybeach's response to some minor electrical difficulties on a new model car is a bit extreme (IMO!), and it is not representative of all new D3 owner experiences. But you guys who are beating him up for his posts...cool it! I don't want Audiworld Forum to only be a place where people sit around and gush over their cars like schoolgirls with crushes. Sometimes things go wrong, and we should encourage people to be very specific (as Buybeach was) about those problems. What you guys call minor problems may be extremely annoying to him -- everyone is different. I'm glad to have a punch list of problems to watch out for when I take delivery.

Having said that, I think the focus of Buybeach's ire should be on poor service, not poor car quality. This IS a new car and is bound to have some bugs, especially electrical and software problems since it is impossible to beta-test EVERY potential situation that will send instructions to an I/O board or chip. I agree you inherit those problems if you are an early buyer. But it is how those situations are handled that should distinguish a luxury car from a Honda. At minimum, Buy should have an expectation that the dealer and AoA will work together (not force HIM to call back and forth to catch them in inconsistencies) to solve his problem to the best of their ability. To encourage him to avail himself of consumer protection laws because they don't want to hear his squeaky wheel anymore is ridiculous. This is a dealer-specific and AoA response problem first and foremost. Not a car problem per se.

But however he interprets it, let's please not discourage people from posting here just because they have something negative to say. We have room for all opinions here, like 'em or not.

PaulW 07-30-2003 07:22 AM

Keep posting, but I'm just doing the same thing - posting

I see all of these posts from people that bought these cars, and almost none of it has to do with what can solve the problem.

If it's a light switch, use it in manual mode, and within 3 months the dealer will probably have it all figured out and will fix it. If not, what are you going to do? Give the car back?

With AoA importing probably 1,800-2,800 A8L's to the states a year (as with the previous A8), combined with the fact that you are dealing with a car dealer, it is going to be tough to get all the answers you need in the same day and solve technical problems with a car that has been in the states all of 60 days with a TOTALLY new electrical interface as compared to anything that has been previously brought here. It will take some time to solve these problems.

My dealer screwed up the service on my A8 3 out of 3 times - so what did I do? Not go there anymore and started audipages.com

It's quit relaxing to work on my car sometime.

Good luck solving your problem with the lights, I'm sure it's simple.

Paul

Ming Blues 07-30-2003 07:22 AM

Re: C'mon, both sides cool it!

I think the Audi reps "suggestion" that he consider seeking lemon law protection was his way of warning Buy to chill a little. Stop the incitement and over the top demands.

This guy went into "kill" mode over a light switch and started with the "L" word with the dealer way too soon.

If he keeps referring to his car as a L(emon)then he's going to get responses regarding lemon laws.

BackToBasics 07-30-2003 07:33 AM

I hear you Paul...

Not discouraging posts, just encouraging tolerance.

Ming Blues 07-30-2003 07:37 AM

Greenie, me thinks you hope you get another one!

I hope you don't get a lemon, but you sure seem eager to get involved with one!

But seriously, as someone experienced with several lemon law cases including your own, what would you like to see happen here? What should Audi do to promote their image and in pursuit of excellent public relations?

If you were running things would you give him another car right off the bat, assuming there was one in stock with the options and color he wants.

Should Audi assemble a feet of carefully pre-tested replacement vehicles and store them in some central location stateside?

What will you do if something on your car isn't up to perfection, knowing that these problems exist and knowing, as you do, all the players? I would really appreciate a "guideline" from you. At what point should one become concerned about a quality issue? When do you call "Ghost busters"?