A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight restoration on 2002 A8. headlight has very strange pattern? looks like tree

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight restoration on 2002 A8. headlight has very strange pattern? looks like tree

if you look closely, the pattern is very strange like a blood vessel or tree branch. Would this be restorable using the water sand paper method to restore the clarity of the headlights?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This looks like paint clear-coat failure...
Perhaps awhile back, someone applied a clear coat product to the lens to protect it ?
I have sanded down and then compounded many sets of plastic headlight lenses and have never seen what you have on yours..
What are those evenly space vertical lines - were those in the new lens in the beginning ?
Since it looks so bad, I would take a chance on wet sanding it all down with a small rubber block to keep it evenly sanded, then polish it out which will take a long time, depending on what you have do that part, and then eventually you should have a perfectly clear, glossy lens again...
They sell liquid clear products now and perhaps even in spray cans to spray on and protect the lens from dying to UV rays, etc...

Whatever you decide to do, you need to tape a couple layers or more, all around the lens, so that you dont hit anything with the sand paper and then the compound, if you decide to go that route..
And then if you spray anything, you have to tape all around really perfectly and extend with a lot of paper way, way, all around the area so you get no overspray somewhere else...
Good luck !
Dan F
Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stokdgs
This looks like paint clear-coat failure...
Perhaps awhile back, someone applied a clear coat product to the lens to protect it ?
I have sanded down and then compounded many sets of plastic headlight lenses and have never seen what you have on yours..
What are those evenly space vertical lines - were those in the new lens in the beginning ?
Since it looks so bad, I would take a chance on wet sanding it all down with a small rubber block to keep it evenly sanded, then polish it out which will take a long time, depending on what you have do that part, and then eventually you should have a perfectly clear, glossy lens again...
They sell liquid clear products now and perhaps even in spray cans to spray on and protect the lens from dying to UV rays, etc...

Whatever you decide to do, you need to tape a couple layers or more, all around the lens, so that you dont hit anything with the sand paper and then the compound, if you decide to go that route..
And then if you spray anything, you have to tape all around really perfectly and extend with a lot of paper way, way, all around the area so you get no overspray somewhere else...
Good luck !
Dan F
I'll be using this youtube instructional video to restore my headlights.
It covers what you've mentioned about taping/clear coating etc.
The vertical lines are part of the design, and it's inside the headlights.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by shinigami
I'll be using this youtube instructional video to restore my headlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM
It covers what you've mentioned about taping/clear coating etc.
The vertical lines are part of the design, and it's inside the headlights.
I watched that entire video..
What has not happened here is that the sanding scratches have not been removed before painting the clear coat..

The result is not ever going to be as good as when you compound all the sanding scratches out first, and then painting the clear coat on..

All the headlights I have restored have been wet sanded and then compounded using a Rotary and some smaller 2" - 3" - 4" foam pads and some automotive paint compound, and when done the plastic is very clear, glossy and thee is not any cloudiness or haziness because I removed it all with the compound step...

This video process does improve the badly oxidized plastic but it does not restore it to how it looked when brand new..

Let me see if I can find some pictures I took of a Subaru WRX that had bad lights and I sanded and compounded them so you can see the difference..

Good Luck !
Dan F
Old 11-01-2016, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stokdgs
All the headlights I have restored have been wet sanded and then compounded using a Rotary and some smaller 2" - 3" - 4" foam pads and some automotive paint compound, and when done the plastic is very clear, glossy and thee is not any cloudiness or haziness because I removed it all with the compound step...
What is automotive paint compound? Is this it?
- Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound

Can you be more specific on what foam pad I need? Are they all the same grit?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BUY THIS & READ the directions ... or have your parents explain it to you !

https://jet.com/product/detail/30dcf...kN7A&gclsrc=ds
Old 11-02-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
BUY THIS & READ the directions ... or have your parents explain it to you !

https://jet.com/product/detail/30dcf...kN7A&gclsrc=ds
I didn't even know this stuff was available as kit. Thanks!

Last edited by shinigami; 11-02-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

They also make a kit without the tape for about $5 less. I used it on my D3 and it did an amazing job.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
They also make a kit without the tape for about $5 less. I used it on my D3 and it did an amazing job.
Cool thanks!

Last edited by shinigami; 11-02-2016 at 05:55 PM.