A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car's performance is underwhelming me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car's performance is underwhelming me...

My car's performance has been, to me, mediocre for at least the last year and 1/2 compared to what I remember when I first got it 3 years ago and compared to what I expect from a 4.2 litre engine. I've talked to 2 dealers and 2 independents about it but with no success. The one dealer I had take a look at the car implied I was a car-hypochondriac (which may, of course, be true) while all they did was check the codes and give it a quick test drive. They said nothing was broken and the test drive seemed fine; unless something was broken there was nothing they could do for me. The others just told me that with a NA engine there was not much to do besides change the plugs and filter if that was what I wanted them to do.

The symptoms are, of course, subjective but they include: slow acceleration (I think, but I can't quantify it), a sound when accelerating that often sounds like an armored car in 1st gear, and a (very) slightly rough vibration in idle and acceleration. I originally thought some of this might be due to the transmission but that has been replaced (they told me that was fine too until the day they said I needed a new one).

Any ideas? I want to keep this car for a while.

What are my options?

What can I ask for or expect from a servicer?

What can I do myself (one of the few people I trust with my A8)? I haven't worked on my own car in 20 years though and I am not a very sophisticated car owner or mechanic.

00 A8; 51k; normal maintenance; new transm in last 1k; 000032 tran code
Old 09-12-2004, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

!!!! you've had your tranny replaced at 50k? I'm at 145k and still truckin'...knock on wood
Old 09-12-2004, 01:13 PM

Default I notice that I get used to my car's performance and over time it SEEMS slower...

I remember the first time I floored the A8 on the interstate to pass someone; it launched so hard I thought I would wreck. Now 1000 passes later, it SEEMS slower. I doubt it is, I think I am just used to it.

If there is no hint that there is a mechanical problem, I suspect this may be the case for you as well.

Colby
Old 09-12-2004, 01:29 PM

Default I agree w/CLeonard, but if unsure, go test drive another '00.

But I'd show up in another car. 8^)

Mine seems faster than ever, now that I'm really getting comfortable with pushing it.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:35 PM

Default maybe your are right but I've never launched so hard I thought I'd wreck

and am not at risk of launching into a wreck now. I'm not expecting 4 wheel quattro flame outs of course, just a little more than I'm getting. Is there a way to prove a negative i.e., that there is not a performance issue? I guess the answer is probably not unless I go toe to toe with another 00 on a track.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here are my recommendations:

1. Take the car for some time trials. This can be done on a quiet road were you can accelerate repeatedly to 60 MPH. Take the average time after four or five tries.

2. Compare this to the factory number.

3. Try to get someone in your area to go for a drive with you. Someone with the same model. Let them give you their opinion.

4. Go to a dealer and see if they have a similar, older, car which you can take for a test. Listen to the car and record any noises or the lack of a noise where you hear one in your car.

5. Have your car dyno checked. Not an easy proposal. Compare the numbers to the Audi numbers for your car.

After this you should have some factual data to take to the dealer.

It could be that your transmission is binding. Your car should be faster now that it is broken in.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Have the plugs changed.....

Someone else on the Forum had a problem and one of the plugs was loose leaking gases out of the chamber. Seven and a half cylinders not as good as eight good ones. Plus new plugs always make the car run better. You might also try a K&N air filter as they help response and are only $50. Lastly, when you have a 1/4 tank of gas add one bottle of the black 104 Octane Booster, take out the spare tire, and go out one cold morning for a little spin and see if the car feels a little quicker. Finally, drive another car for a day or so and go back to your A8, you may be almost too acclimated to its power as has been mentioned.

No major revelations here but just a thought. It always worked with my turbo porsche, and there should still be some improvement in a good normally aspirated car such as ours.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree EgilA64.2. See how your car drives compared to others of the same type.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:51 PM

Default If you have VAG-COM you could try the "butt dyno".

Cheaper and probably easier than finding a 4 wheel dyno that can produce accurate figures on the Quattro + Tip/auto.

It may well be the fact you've gotten used to all that power. That happens. It usually strikes me how quick this car is after I've driven some other car...

I can recommend the K&N filter inlay. It does make a difference. Spark plugs may as well, and some injector cleaner. If you want to take it a step further, maybe a sports exhaust...

And don't forget the tranny adapts to your driving style. When mine was reset to the base setting the car felt really slow. I hated that, but that was fully cured after some spirited driving. ;-)

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/vag/msgs/457.phtml">"Butt Dyno"</a>
Old 09-12-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Thanks. This is why I love audiworld!

you know, i thought I was being whiny on my suspension and transm too and both turned out to be flawed even against the dealer's feedback. I'll take the feedback and report back another day. Vag-com is due tomorrow and its been a while since a plug and filter change...

Quick Reply: My car's performance is underwhelming me...