A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first major maintenance on my A8

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My first major maintenance on my A8

You all might remember my post a short while back where I found out my transmission needs a rebuild shortly after buying the car. I'm still driving it with no reverse.....

Well today the thermostat stuck and now I'm looking at doing the timing belt, thermostat, water pump and all of the idlers/tensioners/cam and main seals etc.

I'm also going to be doing the valve cover gaskets and cam chain tensioner shoes/seals etc. Also an oil/filter change.

Is there anything else I should take care of while I'm in there?

I'll be renting the proper specialty tools as I don't like doing a big job like this twice. I'm ordering all parts from Blauparts.com

Any tips/thoughts from those with experience is deeply appreciated.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up my car,it was in for tbelt service,they had an issue with the water pump bolt that broke and then their extractor broke so they had to get one that could handle hardened steel(3 hours extra labor).Hope this doesnt happen to you.
If you have oil cooler water pipe leak it is a good time to replace it bcos you spend less time if you do it with timing belt.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hope for no broken bolts but am not afraid to drill them out if needed. I have seen that water pipe referred to before and will definitely look into it. I have seen a couple drops of oil under the front passenger side lately. Can this be related to that pipe?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could be this one https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ap/021115433e/
It was leaking so they replaced it.
Oil cooler pipe will leak coolant not oil. 4.2L Audi/VW Billet Oil Cooler Tube - Gruven Parts
Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Y888
Could be this one https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ap/021115433e/
It was leaking so they replaced it.
Oil cooler pipe will leak coolant not oil. 4.2L Audi/VW Billet Oil Cooler Tube - Gruven Parts
That makes sense, just didn't know for sure. I won't be replacing it at this time then. I'm getting a new filter and o-ring for the cap when I do the oil so if it is leaking, it should be an easy fix.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. A8
You all might remember my post a short while back where I found out my transmission needs a rebuild shortly after buying the car. I'm still driving it with no reverse.....

Well today the thermostat stuck and now I'm looking at doing the timing belt, thermostat, water pump and all of the idlers/tensioners/cam and main seals etc.

I'm also going to be doing the valve cover gaskets and cam chain tensioner shoes/seals etc. Also an oil/filter change.

Is there anything else I should take care of while I'm in there?

I'll be renting the proper specialty tools as I don't like doing a big job like this twice. I'm ordering all parts from Blauparts.com

Any tips/thoughts from those with experience is deeply appreciated.
Careful with blauparts, I personally won't but their parts.
I buy the waterpump from the dealership, no exceptions.. not worth doing the job twice.
For Rollers, I source INA = Original Equipment> what Audi uses for the rollers.
I found the bearings on the Blau stuff is not rated for the same extreme temps as the INA rollers.

Cam plugs are another maintenance item I would take care of when doing this work. (they aren't very expensive)

-Richard
Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the advice Richard. Blauparts lists all of the rollers as INA. Maybe that's changed since you ordered from them? As far as the water pump goes, it's it common for aftermarket pumps to fail?
Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I do not think it's that hard to do the thermostat with the timing belt clamped to the sprockets, you might want to do the minimum for now in case it turns out the car is not worth the repairs.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jfrahm
I do not think it's that hard to do the thermostat with the timing belt clamped to the sprockets, you might want to do the minimum for now in case it turns out the car is not worth the repairs.
I've thought about it. The car needs a rebuild on the transmission, the shocks are leaking, I'm sure various suspension bushings could use replacing as well. If I add up all the costs they add up to more than the value of the car.

However, this car is worth keeping for a few years. That's where I hope to get my money back. As long as I don't have to do major repairs every year it should work out. There's also the fact that I think it is worth paying for the luxury/comfort that this car offers. The final box that it checks is AWD.

This repair is costing me in the $600-$700 range. The transmission will be around $3200. Haven't priced out shocks and bushings yet.

I paid $2,650 for the car
Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

shocks and control arms are 100ish each.mine is on 3rd set of schocks in 128k miles.Iv been told by a mechanic that suspension is not strong enough to support weight of the car.

Quick Reply: My first major maintenance on my A8