A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2002 S8 Owner

Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2002 S8 Owner

Hello all, I'm the proud new owner of a 2002 S8. I had been looking for a sedan daily driver for quite some time, and was getting serious about a W124 500E in Tucson. Also considering an E39 M5, but I just can't get past the interior wear and poor reliability. I had looked at the S8 multiple times but hadn't found a nice one, this one was a new listing and I was lucky to get there first. The car is a 2002 S8 with 84k, a one owner open checkbook car with dealer records, based on the records he was very meticulous including a timing belt change early. Original MSRP per the window sticker copy was a shade over $75k. I bought it directly from the original executive owner who replaced it with a Cayenne turbo. Almost perfect inside and out, very well taken care of car.

Most of the usual gotchas have already been taken care of - timing belt, control arms, front outer CV boots, vacuum lines, thermostat, ABS pump, valve cover gaskets, front output shaft seals, etc. It's going to need tires soon, and I think the outer tie rods are getting loose. It also is due for the 80k service stuff like spark plugs, air filter, pollen filter. I'm also going to do a transmission service ASAP and change all of the fluids. I'm still learning and reading about these cars, so any input would be appreciated!
Attached Images    
Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Forgot to add, my only complaint is that the car is too quiet. I'll probably be installing a K&N panel filter to hopefully add a little more induction noise, and looking into exhaust options that aren't a super expensive Supersprint. I don't want loud and obnoxious, just a little more music.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
Forgot to add, my only complaint is that the car is too quiet. I'll probably be installing a K&N panel filter to hopefully add a little more induction noise, and looking into exhaust options that aren't a super expensive Supersprint. I don't want loud and obnoxious, just a little more music.
Smart move on getting trans fluid change ASAP! Make sure they drop the pan, CLEAN it, and replace the filter! If you don't mind me asking what did you pay. I believe I saw this car on autotrader? I'm in the market for one but prices are all over the map!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got it for a little less than it was advertised for on Autotrader. I'm the mechanic doing the work, so I'll definitely do a thorough job on the transmission fluid.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice car! Good luck with it! How's the gas mileage?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I pulled a steady 19 MPG on the way home per the OBC. I was expecting a few more MPG, but it is also due for the 80k service. I'll be doing spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter in the next few weeks.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
I pulled a steady 19 MPG on the way home per the OBC. I was expecting a few more MPG, but it is also due for the 80k service. I'll be doing spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter in the next few weeks.
Thanks to the low final drive gearing in the S8 (compared to A8), it's only rated (optimistically) at 21mpg highway.

At 80K miles, I would seriously consider changing the front 02 sensors (rears do nothing)...the fronts do the fine fuel mixture trim and with age can be off (to the rich side), even with no codes showing.
Most, including myself (changed mine at 100K), feel a big difference in motor smoothness and a slight improvement in mpg's....MUCH more than a plug change, unless your plugs are really bad.

P.S. I would NOT bother with the fuel filter (not even on the Audi regular maintenance list), unless you just want the unnecessary trouble and expense . I have never heard of a fuel filter causing a problem in a D2...or a new one making any difference in operation. It's a big efficient filter that is not prone to restriction, unless there's been a known event of tank full of sand.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Thanks to the low final drive gearing in the S8 (compared to A8), it's only rated (optimistically) at 21mpg highway.

At 80K miles, I would seriously consider changing the front 02 sensors (rears do nothing)...the fronts do the fine fuel mixture trim and with age can be off (to the rich side), even with no codes showing.
Most, including myself (changed mine at 100K), feel a big difference in motor smoothness and a slight improvement in mpg's....MUCH more than a plug change, unless your plugs are really bad.

P.S. I would NOT bother with the fuel filter (not even on the Audi regular maintenance list), unless you just want the unnecessary trouble and expense . I have never heard of a fuel filter causing a problem in a D2...or a new one making any difference in operation. It's a big efficient filter that is not prone to restriction, unless there's been a known event of tank full of sand.
Totally agree on the O2 sensors, they're on my longer term list as I'm sure they're degraded. Curious, why not do the fuel filter? If I recall correctly the part is only about $25, is it difficult to get to? I tend to go overboard on maintenance, and I believe in lifetime filters about as much as lifetime fluids.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry....didn't mean to actually recommend NOT changing the fuel filter, esp if it gives you peace of mind...just not a "necessary" item, like oil or air filter.
Though, barring major contamination events, a D2 could probably eat 2 fuel pumps before reaching the mileage to have a restricted fuel filter...but no harm in changing it.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bentley doesn't show the location, but I believe it's in the rear passenger wheel well under a cover with 7 or 8 bolts. I've had a filter in a box in the garage for about 6 months and haven't changed it yet. Make sure you order the correct copper washers. There are 4 total, and the 2 on one side aren't the same as the 2 on the other. I ordered mine from GAP (www.genuineaudiparts.com) and had selected 4 of the same washers. The guy that usually deals with the orders (Bill) promptly emailed and advised me that 2 were incorrect for one side of filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2002 S8 Owner