A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner in bfe

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner in bfe

i recently purchased a 98 a8 quattro, drove great from Chicago to Amarillo TX.. drove around about 2 weeks and now it feels like the tranny has completely quit put her in gear and just revs, thought it was limp mode but all the gears are not highlighted just the gear i am in. i was about to change the oil and tranny fluid anyhow as i don't know the history of the car care.i have searched and searched, hopefully a fluid change will fix i plan on cutting the intake tube of the filter as suggested, question is since i don't know what fluid is in currently should i tell the shop to let it drain over night as to not mix different kinds or ?? there isn't an Audi dealer for 200 miles so getting fluids is already expensive and add shipping. sorry for the rant as my first post i was just trying to read as much as possible before posting. thank you for any help and incite.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i forgot to add the car has 112000 miles, also i have tried the "manual" tiptronic in first gear same thing as drive barely any power and high revs
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the radio code, disconnect the battery for an hour and see if it will reset.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it reset but car still doing same thing . feels like the brake is on. i pulled up the emergency brake and no light lit up put it all the way down car still doing same thing. also how do you change from Celsius ? and put in the radio code. thank you for the quick response and help
Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i know the brakes are not locked up the car will roll just revs really high and has no power
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just food for thought regarding getting fluids for the A8 - a Volkswagen dealership closer than 200 miles would stock the G12 coolant as well as the transmission fluid.

Heck, I'm roadlocked in Juneau, Alaska without a VW/Audi dealer and I could still find G12 at an Auto Parts Plus store. I opted to ship in my tranny fluid since it saved me $5 quart.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt that the fluid change will fix it. I would just top it off with Mobil 1 and see if it moves. If yes then do a fluid filter change. This way you don't waste your $$ on a dead trans.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXcajunman
it reset but car still doing same thing . feels like the brake is on. i pulled up the emergency brake and no light lit up put it all the way down car still doing same thing. also how do you change from Celsius ? and put in the radio code. thank you for the quick response and help
Here:
http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/46240.phtml
Lots of other D2 A8 info as well on same page.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well i got her on jack stands and got a 17mm socket. open up her fill tube and a cpl cups drains out really thin black oil. so by the master tozo's message i am screwed so i take it changing fluid and filter is a waste of time and money. so where to get another tranny? i don't know if a shop in town would rebuild. i am losing hope thank you to all who posted and trying to help out a noob
David
Old 03-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

when i say that's how much drained out its because i put the plug back in before more could leak out.

Quick Reply: new owner in bfe