A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owners few small problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owners few small problems

Alright recantly bought 1998 audi a8 sport 4.2 petrol v8 and it runs fine i got it cheap enough so cant complain at faults but as ive no exp with audis was looking for some advice.

First thing i want to fix is when i brake sometimes it acts like abs is kicking in but no light on dash and im not going fast enough to make wheels lock up? pads discs all round are basicly new all stuff done in past 6-8 months evan had caliper rebuilds/new calipers

2nd thing is locks when i lock car it beep's and eveything expect the boot locks and locks go down slow and up slow when unlocking/locking and it also sometimes doesnt start kind of like some imoibliszer fault or somthing maby? all linkd?

final thing is the car kind of sits down to one side i suspect a shocky or somthing its had springs ect done in past i heard a8 and s8 springs are lower so possibly thought wrong spring fitted?

all repiars on this car since new have been done at audi all recpiets are there and its done 94k atm so its not really been at any side street garages so i presume all work carried out was right?.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also im not 100% sure if its just the car smell or me but few people have noticed it but i think theres a smell of petrol everytime i get in the car not strong but slight smell and car does use a bit of fuel i know its a v8 i expect high usage but think its a bit to high usage. thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1st thing to do is get a VagCom (dealer type) diagnostic, which will read faults in all modules...NOT just a parts store code reader, which will only read codes that trigger the check engine light (emissions related).

Also, don't assume that mechanics at Audi dealers do the work correctly even half the time...they are just as hit & miss as any independent mechanics...often worse.

The brake problem sounds like the ABS system is sensing lock up when it is not locking up...usually caused by one or more wheel speed sensors dirty, failing or wiring problem at the sensor. There's one at each of the 4 wheels. Get a diagnostic.

The door lock problem could be an air leak in a line
or a failing central locking air pump. ...diagnostic.

Suspension? ...check for a broken spring...especially the last coil, close to the seat...common failure. Shock problems would have nothing to do with car level/height...only the springs or spring seats.

Fuel smell possibilities:

Leak in evap system...gas cap, fuel pump and/or fuel level sensor sealing rings (in trunk) not put back on correctly with new gaskets, after previous fuel system repairs.
Fuel leak near/at filter (under car ahead of right rear wheel) due to replacement without new crush washers.
Car burning way too rich, due to bad coolant temp sensor...not the one for the gauge...a 2nd one for the engine management only. Front 02 sensors failed (ALL do by 100K miles) will cause slightly rich burning, but not near a bad as a failed coolant temp sensor.

These cars, for most problems, can NOT be fully or correctly diagnosed without hooking up to the OBD port...they are designed that way.

Last edited by silverd2; 04-12-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks i new id need scanner i just wonderd incase was any common faults before i start paying out for stuff