AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/newbie-here-just-bought-2001-s8-junker-save-2934250/)

infinity2017 10-07-2017 08:49 PM

Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!

7 Attachment(s)
Hi Everybody, newbie from Colorado. Today I just bought a 2001 S8 to resurrect. It's beat pretty much into the ground but I wanted to save it. I'm not even an Audi guy but noticed that someone on this forum said that 538 were imported into the USA that year, and fast forward sixteen years probably leaves hardly any out there anymore. The owner was getting ready to strip the aftermarket wheels off and sell it to the junkyard so I bought it. Here are some pictures. I'm going to put it back together and make it awesome again and then cannonball run it across the country to my garage in New York and put it with my car collection. Last spring I did the same thing with a smashed super rare 2002 Designo Mercedes big body that I bought out of a junkyard and it was alot of fun. Now the Designo is safe and sound under a cover in my garage in New York.

I did have some questions about this car if anyone can answer them:
1) It turns over but doesn't start, the seller said the front cam position sensor was bad, might this be true? I haven't started working on it yet but have also researched that it could be because of a bad fuel pump, no gas, bad coolant sensor or bad crank position sensor. The car has 203k miles on it and was babied until a teenager got his paws on it in 2012 and just destroyed it. Then it sat from 2013 to now.
2) The rear window slides down by itself, is this easy to fix?
3) Is the computer system OBD2? Can i attain the error codes using a basic OBD2 scanner (the same one I used for the Mercedes)? Does the dashboard show the error codes?
4) Does anyone have a complete black front bumper for sale? I already bought all the other parts, now looking for a bumper.
5) I'm replacing the dash cluster, does the new one need to be programmed or does it just plug in?

Thanks!!

audinutt 10-07-2017 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by infinity2017 (Post 25048437)
Hi Everybody, newbie from Colorado. Today I just bought a 2001 S8 to resurrect. It's beat pretty much into the ground but I wanted to save it. I'm not even an Audi guy but noticed that someone on this forum said that 538 were imported into the USA that year, and fast forward sixteen years probably leaves hardly any out there anymore. The owner was getting ready to strip the aftermarket wheels off and sell it to the junkyard so I bought it. Here are some pictures. I'm going to put it back together and make it awesome again and then cannonball run it across the country to my garage in New York and put it with my car collection. Last spring I did the same thing with a smashed super rare 2002 Designo Mercedes big body that I bought out of a junkyard and it was alot of fun. Now the Designo is safe and sound under a cover in my garage in New York.

I did have some questions about this car if anyone can answer them:
1) It turns over but doesn't start, the seller said the front cam position sensor was bad, might this be true? I haven't started working on it yet but have also researched that it could be because of a bad fuel pump, no gas, bad coolant sensor or bad crank position sensor. The car has 203k miles on it and was babied until a teenager got his paws on it in 2012 and just destroyed it. Then it sat from 2013 to now.
2) The rear window slides down by itself, is this easy to fix?
3) Is the computer system OBD2? Can i attain the error codes using a basic OBD2 scanner (the same one I used for the Mercedes)? Does the dashboard show the error codes?
4) Does anyone have a complete black front bumper for sale? I already bought all the other parts, now looking for a bumper.
5) I'm replacing the dash cluster, does the new one need to be programmed or does it just plug in?

Thanks!!

I saw that car listed, it looks like a parts car in all honesty.
A new cluster will require a visit to the dealer in order for it to start/run.
Honestly I would sell it/part it out and find another car.
You don't know if the engine or trans is any good.
Hopefully I'm wrong but that thing looks ragged out and I've seen nicer examples end up at junk yards.

-Richard

2001 S8 10-08-2017 04:35 AM

+1 on parts car, at best.

Interesting there is a black interior door panel in the photos. Doors panels should be same color as leather. If this car could talk.

FWIW: Yes it's an OBDII and no codes are not displayed on the dash. According to Audi there were 418 2001 S8 imported to the US. See link below.
Good luck.

infinity2017 10-08-2017 06:21 AM

Hi guy's I appreciate the negativity. That will make me want to get this car fixed up even more. The pictures look alot worse than the car really is. There are no dent's and the interior is not shreded, it's just super filthy. Both those things together equal one days work to clean. Regarding the engine, internal combustion engines are all the same (air/fuel mixture, timing, intake, exhaust, etc.), turning the key and hearing it turn over is all I needed to hear when I bought it, the rest is cake. If you think this is a parts car you would have undoubtedly thought that most of my other cars are parts cars before they were finished.. I love a good challenge, life it too easy these days; people get a flat tire and toss the car in the junkyard... This is a very easy project..

sswari 10-08-2017 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by infinity2017 (Post 25048524)
Hi guy's I appreciate the negativity. That will make me want to get this car fixed up even more.

HA, I am the same way, tell me it can't be done...

I bet this turns out awesome, a bit more expensive than you may think, but what a cool project.

infinity2017 10-08-2017 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sswari, Thanks for the positivity. I tell my kids anything and everything can be done. I don't know what kind of person I or they would be if I threw out any degree of negativity, or if I'd succumbed to it myself. Life is hard enough as it is; I've learned to take any and all negativity and produce positive results in the end.

Just for kicks, here is a picture of one of my other projects, very rare and very highly optioned.... Everyone that saw it said it couldn't be done, go figure...

Markopolo216 10-08-2017 08:42 AM

It's worth saving! I just bought one myself for a steal!!

Clearly theres res some confusion about the production numbers. I got the information straight from Audi. 2001 there were 813 imported to the states. Keep in mind this is straight from Audi!!!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...1be70dc784.png

Markopolo216 10-08-2017 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2001 S8 (Post 25048490)
+1 on parts car, at best.

Interesting there is a black interior door panel in the photos. Doors panels should be same color as leather. If this car could talk.

FWIW: Yes it's an OBDII and no codes are not displayed on the dash. According to Audi there were 418 2001 S8 imported to the US. See link below.
Good luck.

813 sold in the US. See my screenshot below.

sswari 10-08-2017 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by infinity2017 (Post 25048563)
sswari, Thanks for the positivity. I tell my kids anything and everything can be done. I don't know what kind of person I or they would be if I threw out any degree of negativity, or if I'd succumbed to it myself. Life is hard enough as it is; I've learned to take any and all negativity and produce positive results in the end.

Just for kicks, here is a picture of one of my other projects, very rare and very highly optioned.... Everyone that saw it said it couldn't be done, go figure...

Ok, so what does it look like now? Love the Boss 302 or any older Mustang for that matter.

2001 S8 10-08-2017 10:12 AM

Interesting. My number for 2001 S8's imported came from Audi, as well. But I don't have documentation, as mine was left by Audi Customer Service via voice mail.

Infinity2017 - Not being negative. Just personally knowing what it takes to keep a very good example running, you've got a lot of work on your hands.

Would also love to see what the Boss 302 looks like now.

Good luck.