Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save! - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!

Notices
A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

Newbie here, just bought a 2001 S8 junker to save!

Old 10-08-2017, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2001 S8 View Post
Interesting. My number for 2001 S8's imported came from Audi, as well. But I don't have documentation, as mine was left by Audi Customer Service via voice mail.

Infinity2017 - Not being negative. Just personally knowing what it takes to keep a very good example running, you've got a lot of work on your hands.

Would also love to see what the Boss 302 looks like now.

Good luck.
Who knows anymore. I was actually researching for a couple days and everyone had different numbers they were posting. I was hopeful it was only 400 something. Oh well. They're still special cars. We all know that. Does anyone know if we can put a newer Audi transmission in these? Like six speed auto, or even newer eight speed auto? Can you guys believe I just bought this beauty for $1800!?? Needs a little work but runs strong.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Via con Dios!

Love the enthusiasm. These are great cars. I'm sure you'll have a great car too when you're done. Looking forward to watching it grow like a child into an adult you can be proud of!
ANYTHING can be done with enough time, determination and dollars. You'll need all three. You probably already have them..
Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. Marcopolo, that's a nice one for the price. I'm thinking that no matter how many S8's were produced in 2001 there are not that many in existence now. A quick search shows lots of results of totalled and parted out 2001 S8's. Too bad..

Regarding the Boss, it's still under construction. I'll post pictures when it's done.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Markopolo216 View Post
Who knows anymore. I was actually researching for a couple days and everyone had different numbers they were posting. I was hopeful it was only 400 something. Oh well. They're still special cars. We all know that. Does anyone know if we can put a newer Audi transmission in these? Like six speed auto, or even newer eight speed auto? Can you guys believe I just bought this beauty for $1800!?? Needs a little work but runs strong.
Nice find. One bit of advice. When you get your fog light grills. To keep them from falling out use small zip ties in the upper corners to lock them in place.

From what I've read, the six speed auto from D3's won't fit. There have been a couple of guys that have done a manual trans swap from A6's of the same era.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by infinity2017 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Marcopolo, that's a nice one for the price. I'm thinking that no matter how many S8's were produced in 2001 there are not that many in existence now. A quick search shows lots of results of totalled and parted out 2001 S8's. Too bad..

Regarding the Boss, it's still under construction. I'll post pictures when it's done.
Will do thanks for the tip! I plan to keep this baby running for a long time! I wonder is there's any way to pin point how many left in exixstance.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2001 S8 View Post
Nice find. One bit of advice. When you get your fog light grills. To keep them from falling out use small zip ties in the upper corners to lock them in place.

From what I've read, the six speed auto from D3's won't fit. There have been a couple of guys that have done a manual trans swap from A6's of the same era.
Thats a bit of a pain. You'd think that something newer has the same bell housing and could be forced to work in there. I want to get away from the manual if at all possible. Do they make an upgraded shift kit or valve body for the original zf five speed auto in our S8?
Old 10-09-2017, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Markopolo216 View Post
Thats a bit of a pain. You'd think that something newer has the same bell housing and could be forced to work in there. I want to get away from the manual if at all possible. Do they make an upgraded shift kit or valve body for the original zf five speed auto in our S8?
There has been quite a bit of chatter on the board about VB's. (TransGo kit vs. Sonnax kit) Below is link to a multi page thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...issue-2924119/

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go for it man!
I can reccomend leatherique rejuvenator to restore your leather.Add paint correction with ceramic coating and it will look amazing!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Does the Leatherique clean the dirt off the leather or just shine it?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

You have to buy rejuvenator along with prestine clean cleaner.
Once you massage the rejuvenator into the leather and leave it for 24hrs then you use prestine clean to clean the excess off.

edit:
I just ordered this bumper restorer,hopefully it will work
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Y888; 10-11-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: