AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   Nobody knows how to tell if the car has a heated steering wheel? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/nobody-knows-how-tell-if-car-has-heated-steering-wheel-1740658/)

A8L_Driver_Dan 01-31-2004 10:31 AM

Nobody knows how to tell if the car has a heated steering wheel?

I've seen at least three posts asking how to tell if the car was equipped with a heated steering wheel that is now broken/non-functional. No replys.

JimR's poll made it pretty clear that a lot are no longer working.

The published literature doesn't add a lot of clarity. Standard or Option = Maybe!

Without actually performing auto-surgery, is there a way to tell...and Mr. Ricco or Greenie don't say "It gets fondue hot!" ;)

Jim II 01-31-2004 01:12 PM

I think if you had the heated seats 97-99 you got the wheel

SteveIAS8 01-31-2004 02:01 PM

I think 2000's did not have them, but...

... on a cold morning, turn your heated seats on (doesn't matter how high), and within 30 -60 seconds, you should feel the wheel warm up. You'll know after a couple minutes if the wheel is considerably warmer than the center, where the airbag is.

When i had my 98, it went out. fortunately, it was under warranty- they just replaced the wheel altogether.

If it is too warm out, the wheel will not heat. It also takes ambient temperature into consideration.

Hope this helps.

Steve

cwatters 02-01-2004 07:33 AM

I just looke in the manual for the 2000 A8...

on page 150 it has operating instructions for "The steering whell heating*" . I looked for a reference to the asterik, but could find nothing. There is also a 10 amp fuse listed on page 258 under "Red fuse carrier (2)" for steering wheel heating. Would suggest that the cars may have come equiped with steering wheel heating. But who knows!

Jazzy 02-01-2004 09:41 AM

Re: I think if you had the heated seats 97-99 you got the wheel

I can't tell if mine has ever worked. I'm in Florida and have engaged the driver seat up to maximum heat and still didn't feel anything on the wheel.

Tech told me the outside temp has to be VERY cold before it will engage. True?

Also, while doing these tests I found that the back seat doesn't heatup. Is that an easy fix?

SteveIAS8 02-01-2004 09:47 AM

Ambient temp does play a role.

also, are you sitting on your rear seats to test? You can turn them "on," but they're "weight activated." Sit on them for a few minutes to see if begin to feel the heat.

Heated seats in Florida?

;-)

cwatters 02-01-2004 06:44 PM

follow up - checked the fuse box and there is a space there for...

a fuse, but it's empty???? I'm afraid to put one in just in case it completes a circut that goes to an exposed wire. Have to go to the dealer tomorrow for MAF, so I'll check with them.

A8L_Driver_Dan 02-02-2004 05:47 AM

Anxiously awaiting your findings!

cwatters 02-02-2004 02:11 PM

Dealer was clueless - I'm going to try AoA to see if they have a build sheet.