A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not only a NEW DESIGN needed, but new FEATURES

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not only a NEW DESIGN needed, but new FEATURES

Well, im really happy with the current A8 today, its a handsome car. But when i talk to a lot of people, they chose the sclass-7 series over it because of the gadgets. I was appaulled but i had to admit, the new a8 has to have new gadgets that nobody asked for. So here is a list, feel free to add as u go along...

-Nav Plus system
-Stick with the bose, its awsome
-The new door opening system (like in BMW)
-One of those new windshields that operates without the wipers.
-Able to change the posture of rear seats (in Longwheel base models)
- A lot of sensors to detect what's goin on and take action like distronic, and the all the other stuff that the SClass has.

Things not to add...
- A refrigorator...k this isnt a temporary house, it's a CAR.
- A fax machine, barely any1 i know uses it
- IDRIVE or similar system, one word, ****ty
- dont move the transmission gear stick like Bimmer did, the stupidest thing iv ever seen.

Well that's it, add stuff to both lists if ya want :-).
Old 03-24-2002, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bose: "Awesome"???? (Not Mine)
Old 03-24-2002, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Bose: "Awesome"???? (Not Mine)

I think what we have here is a disagreement in expectations. The Bose system in the A8 is a very good sound system for a STOCK unit. Compared to most other stock sound systems (obviously there are some exceptions), the Bose holds its own. Compared to a high-end custom installed audiophile car sound system, its not that great. Personally, I think that the Bose system is fine for car audio- if I want to really listen to the music, I go home and listen to my Audiophile system there, where the distractions (and inherent noises) of driving don't interfere with the experience. Just a thought......
Old 03-24-2002, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My A8 Bose is Just Plain Lousy; Can It Be Fixed?

My '99 4.2 A8 is in superb condition, and is admirably quiet on the road. It has all the available options, including the Bose sound system.

I'm not an audiophile. I listen mostly to NPR and CD's; bluegrass, classical, etc - generally at low volume. The A8 sound is so muddy that the treble needs to be turned almost to max. Bass is over done, and not sharp at all.

The stock sound in our '00 BMW 540 and '97 Town and Country is much better than the A8.

Can something be done to improve the A8 sound? Seems a shame, as it is otherwise such a quiet and comfortable car.

Believe that someone on the Forum once said that the head unit "equalizer balance" could be accessed and adjusted? I'm willing to replace speakers, as well, if that would help. This assumes drop in replacement in the existing speaker location

TIA, John
Old 03-25-2002, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Strange

I have the Audi Delta Bose sound system stock unit, and it is the best stock unit I have ever heard. Yes, treble (or more high mid-range actually) could be better defined, and bass could be sharper, but nothing I would rant about. Something wrong with yours? Mine for sure beats the quite expensive Blaupunkt system I had in the S4.

I will be the first one to admit that the Bose can't be compared to a tailored enthusiast system, but as a stock unit it is very good. I consider myself to be more than average interessted in good sound, but I'm no audiophile.

I have done some investigation on how to improve the stock system, but it turns out to be difficult. The Bose system is quite non-standard in the way it is buildt. Changing speakers won't do any good, I have heard several people that tried it saying it actually got worse.

There are some possible solutions:
1. Add a sub-woofer with its own amp. That will fix the bass. (disconnectiong the rear speakers might be a tip)
2. Change front speakers and add a sub, use a separate two-channel amp for the new speakers, use the rear as is. (or disconnect the rear stock subs)
3. Change all speakers and add one or two more 3-channel amps, and a sub. Keep only the head unit and CD changer.
4. Change it all. (you will lose the in-dash audio display)

2) is probably what gives most bang for the buck, but I'm going to just add a sub/amp first and see. I think the bass is the main problem, but changing the front speakers will adress the mid/treble as well.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: My A8 Bose is Just Plain Lousy; Can It Be Fixed?

My listening preferences are pretty much the same as hisport's. However, I certainly wouldn't categorize the sound of the Bose system in my '99 A8/4.2 as "muddy." In fact, I think it's pretty clear. However, the bass is much too "boomy," something that has been well documented in the forumn. I normally run the treble at it's flat setting and the bass at minus 3 or so. YMMV. (I think the hiden "equalizer balance" settings are only adjustable in the previous Delta radio, not the Concert unit used in the '99s.)

jdw
Old 03-25-2002, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: My A8 Bose is Just Plain Lousy; Can It Be Fixed?

My wife drives a 2001 Town and Country, and the Bose system in my '97 A8 blows the T&C's out of the water (not even close). I wonder if there is something wrong with your specific system (disconnected/blown speakers, bad amp, etc.)- it would be great if you could sit in someone else's A8 and listen to see if there is a significant difference. I would be somewhat bummed if my top-of-the-line German Automobile didn't have a reasonably good sound system. Try to hook up with another A8 owner in your area and listen to see if there is a difference for you- if so, have yours checked out.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks: Perhaps my Bose is broken...

Good idea; I will find another A8 and listen to it.

This may take awhile, as my A8 seems the only one in town (according to the car wash guys). I've yet to see another, though I will go by the dealer in Raleigh the next time I'm up there.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bose Quick Fix!!!!

Thanks to JD and others.

Bose Quick Fix:

- Set Treble +3
- Set Bass -3
- Set fader F4

I drove 285 miles round trip today on business, and tried different Bose settings (and your collective advice) to come up with these settings.

This makes a tremendous difference in sound quality. Takes the Bose Audio ('99 A8) sound quality from truly lousy to pretty good. And, it doesn't cost a thing.

Conclusions:

1. Fading to the front of the A8 brings in alot of treble clarity

(I had mine rolled to the rear - R3 or something - to balance front/rear speaker volume, like other cars. This is the adjustment that makes the most difference in fidelity. Do it first.)

2. The Bose treble/bass "flat" setting is anything but

(believe they had a gang of Hertz lot boys set up the equalizer for them)

3. If you listen loud, the bass setting needs to be rolled down to -4 or -5

(Doesn't seem that there is any loudness contour built in; bass is definitely overboosted - especially for reggae and such. Ok but boomy for lighter stuff)