A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensors on Sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Twentysevenlitres, if you're talking about the the Bosch O2 sensors (16132) on RockAuto, they do have the factory plugs. So no soldering is needed, just plug and play.

Do you have any experience with NTK O2 sensors? I contemplating going with NTK downstream instead of Bosch downstream, because the price is better per pair.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
The Bosch ones for sale there don't have the OEM plug, they have some universal plug that comes as a separate item in the box which you have to attach (for what reason when it doesn't match the OEM plug I don't know...).
They're basically universal sensors that you would have to crimp or solder your old plug on to, and you can buy universal sensors cheaper!

Beck Arnley and NTK (NGK) ones have the correct OEM plug.
Bosch universals (#15733) are the way to go ... EXACTLY the same sensor as OEM.

Comes with a very cool waterproof connection box with self crimping connectors.

Stay away from Beck & Arnley sensors ... forum members here and elsewhere have found these "bargains" to fail and tripping codes with just a few miles.

I put in the front (the only ones that matter) bosch universal about 40K miles ago ... immediate improvement in motor smoothness and better mpgs... still no codes, still very smooth. Failed front sensors usually lead to rich running and rough idle.

Rear sensors do nothing (no fuel trim, etc.) ... they only trip codes.

Cheers

PS: Bosch, Audi and other suppliers warn to "NEVER solder a wire to an 02 sensor ... use only well fitting cold connectors."

Last edited by silverd2; 04-17-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
Twentysevenlitres, if you're talking about the the Bosch O2 sensors (16132) on RockAuto, they do have the factory plugs. So no soldering is needed, just plug and play.
I've got a pair of 16132's sitting at home. They do NOT have the OEM plug. I didn't fancy stuffing about with them to make them fit my car, so I bought some NTK's instead.

Do you have any experience with NTK O2 sensors? I contemplating going with NTK downstream instead of Bosch downstream, because the price is better per pair.
Mine are upstream and they seem to be working well, reasonable fuel economy and good running. I had the same ones on my A4 for about 4 years too. Went well in the A4. I've only done 25K km since owning the car, so I can't judge their longevity just yet!

NGK make good quality spark plugs, so I don't see why NTK shouldn't make good quality O2 sensors.

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 04-17-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well...that's good to know. Bosch claims that the 16132 sensors have "True Direct-fit" OE connectors and harness.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll check it out when I get home, but I ordered the supposed correct ones for the S8 at the time and I remember fuming when they turned up with this unmounted plug sitting in the box with them that was not the Audi plug.
I think I know where they are - I was thinking of mounting one onto the missus' old Falcon.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I knew I wasn't going crazy!

As you can clearly see, the plugs the sensor comes with are not the OEM plug (sorry about out of focus shot) and in fact the second plug in the kit, which is in the third picture with the Male end of the NTK O2 sensor in the car, is the female end (of the plug attached to the sensor) which I can only suppose Bosch expect you to replace the OEM loom plug in the car!

Whether Bosch expect owners of older Audi's to update their plugs on their cars' wiring loom I don't know.

There's also the possibility I was duped as the instruction sheet visible in the second picture clearly shows the Audi plug in its pictures...

Both my 16132 labeled boxes have the same plugs inside and the second (loom replacement) plug came sealed in a bag containing the other accessories and the instruction sheet.

Based on this, Bosch won't be selling me any more O2 sensors for this car... pity!

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 04-17-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=silverd2;24800713]Bosch universals (#15733) are the way to go ... EXACTLY the same sensor as OEM.

Comes with a very cool waterproof connection box with self crimping connectors.

I put in the front (the only ones that matter) bosch universal about 40K miles ago ... immediate improvement in motor smoothness and better mpgs... still no codes, still very smooth. Failed front sensors usually lead to rich running and rough idle.

Rear sensors do nothing (no fuel trim, etc.) ... they only trip codes.

Cheers

QUOTE]

FWIW, I have a universal Bosch rear O2 sensor on the driver side and Bosch direct fit (IIRC) on the passenger side. Less than a year of running the universal Bosch I get a persistent PO140, bank 1 sensor 2, that comes and goes. Sometimes it'll stay off for a week, sometimes comes back the day after I reset the light. I've checked that the wiring isn't crimped or burned on the exhaust. The junction box on the universal sensor is inside the car under the carpet and dry. I have a direct fit to go in if/whenever I decide to drop the cat and change the sensor. I've tried several different styles of O2 sockets/crows feet etc and can't get the bugger out with the cat in place.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nyrobbie77
FWIW, I have a universal Bosch rear O2 sensor on the driver side and Bosch direct fit (IIRC) on the passenger side. Less than a year of running the universal Bosch I get a persistent PO140, bank 1 sensor 2, that comes and goes. Sometimes it'll stay off for a week, sometimes comes back the day after I reset the light. I've checked that the wiring isn't crimped or burned on the exhaust. The junction box on the universal sensor is inside the car under the carpet and dry. I have a direct fit to go in if/whenever I decide to drop the cat and change the sensor. I've tried several different styles of O2 sockets/crows feet etc and can't get the bugger out with the cat in place.
It's only one example, but this is why I buy direct fit (not universal) items.

Direct fit items may cost more, but I feel the chances for issues down the road are less likely with them. Just my opinion though.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's only one example, but this is why I buy direct fit (not universal) items.

Direct fit items may cost more, but I feel the chances for issues down the road are less likely with them. Just my opinion though.

Good luck.
exactly - it's only one data point. it could very well just be a bad connection in the junction box or possibly a bad sensor.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

...or a soldering issue.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensors on Sale