A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil overfill

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil overfill

Had an oil change yesterday at Jiffy Lube. Warned them to watch the oil volume, have previously had issues with too much ol added. They indicated specs they saw indicated 7.9 quarts, but they would add 6 and check, and then add and check slowly. After the change they said it needed ~7.5 quarts, I checked when I pulled out and checked, was at top of scored section of dipstick. Checked again this morning after parked on a level floor in garage, and it is over the max line, almost at the top of the upper plastic indicator tab on the dip stick (~1.3" over max line). Will this cause damage? Should I have some drained off, or is this OK? And what is the oil capacity, this is the second time this has happened, once at dealer.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJNJ
Had an oil change yesterday at Jiffy Lube. Warned them to watch the oil volume, have previously had issues with too much ol added. They indicated specs they saw indicated 7.9 quarts, but they would add 6 and check, and then add and check slowly. After the change they said it needed ~7.5 quarts, I checked when I pulled out and checked, was at top of scored section of dipstick. Checked again this morning after parked on a level floor in garage, and it is over the max line, almost at the top of the upper plastic indicator tab on the dip stick (~1.3" over max line). Will this cause damage? Should I have some drained off, or is this OK? And what is the oil capacity, this is the second time this has happened, once at dealer.
The placement of the dipsticks on these engines is very sensitive to incorrect off-level readings. I actually lay a carpenter's level on the lock carrier (radiator frame) when I change my oil and use a jack on the low side of the car to raise it to dead level.

I've found that even a degree or two of tilt will radically change the reading on the dipstick. 7.5 qts is about right with a filter change (too much if filter was not changed)....Audi oil pan (and baffle) design leaves several ounces of oil in there (bad design...something I would change if I could)...so new engine fill would be 7.9 qts.

If it was truly well over the correct amount, it could do damage to the catalytic converters (manufacturer warning)...but yours is not likely that overfilled , if at all.

Check again with a level in place...just a little too high won't hurt anything.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I should have said ~1/3", not 1.3" (actually closer to the middle of the plastic attachment on the high side of the max line). I will get my level out and check again, good tip!