A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump......

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump......

Any help would be much appreciated decided to change the pump on the car.... Looked for a good hour on the internet and cant find if this part number 078115105 will fit? the list i did find was ....

Audi Models Audi A4 B5 2.8L V6 30v
Audi A6 allroad 2.7T
Audi A6 C5 2.7T
Audi A6 C5 2.8L V6
Audi S4 B5

Volkswagen Models Volkswagen Passat B5 V6

dont know if the engines are the same in any of those, my first Audi and have alot to learn!

Thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I doubt it will fit. None of those have a 4.2...

Have you called the stealer ship to see if they have a part number for you and if it will fit.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiPasha
I doubt it will fit. None of those have a 4.2...

Have you called the stealer ship to see if they have a part number for you and if it will fit.
His A8 is a Euro model with a 2.8L V6 >>

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2844603

Kev13,
ETKA lists a slightly different part # for the Euro model...sorry, I'm not at my PC with ETKA loaded. But this may be just a different Euro # for the same pump.
Logic would say it should fit, since the engines are essentially the same.
What is the code on your engine? "AHA", etc...?

I would also make doubly sure the problem is indeed the pump...oil pump failures are not that common in German engines, but possible I suppose(?).
I have never had an oil pump fail or even decrease it's output in any VW, Audi or Porsche at any mileage.

Last edited by silverd2; 03-26-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So the oil pump fit....oil pressure light came on still and grts almost to where i want to be and the engine started making a hurrendous chattering noise (bit like a train!) Loses most of its power more revs the worse the noise so im guessing when it was all sludged it was getting starved of oil and the damage is just showing or something else has gone wrong sounds a bit like the big ends..... so got myself a new engine £350 delivered with 3 months warrenty! Maybe it will cure the oil pressure light problem lmao!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kev13
So the oil pump fit....oil pressure light came on still and grts almost to where i want to be and the engine started making a hurrendous chattering noise (bit like a train!) Loses most of its power more revs the worse the noise so im guessing when it was all sludged it was getting starved of oil and the damage is just showing or something else has gone wrong sounds a bit like the big ends..... so got myself a new engine £350 delivered with 3 months warrenty! Maybe it will cure the oil pressure light problem lmao!
Maybe too late for this, but sounds like the sludge clogged something pretty close to the pump. The pump sends oil pressure directly to the filter and cooler first, where the oil pressure switch is mounted. The cooler and filter each have their own oil bypass valve, in case they are clogged, that sends oil pressure directly to the rest of the motor, unless the bypass valves are stuck, too(?).

The rattling you hear is not necessarily damage, but a lack of oil pressure getting to the cam adjusters and valves...the cam adjusters alone can make a huge rattle when under-pressurized.
The engine is probably salvageable, but might require a tear down to clean out the sludge.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by silverd2
The rattling you hear is not necessarily damage, but a lack of oil pressure getting to the cam adjusters and valves...the cam adjusters alone can make a huge rattle when under-pressurized.
The engine is probably salvageable, but might require a tear down to clean out the sludge.

Good luck
Well... Took the old engine out took the sump off and there was big chunks of metal in there so seeing I decided to investigate a bit further and it was the casing off the conrods :/ at least the new engine is here and can get it in and back on the road!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kev13
Well... Took the old engine out took the sump off and there was big chunks of metal in there so seeing I decided to investigate a bit further and it was the casing off the conrods :/ at least the new engine is here and can get it in and back on the road!
Ouch! The engine must have spun some rod bearings while the pressure was too low(?)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

only one problem now! got new engine in but im stuck with 3 wires left....one thick black one thin black and a big brown one...theyre for the starter motor and the alternator just not sure which ones go where! hoursa and hours trawling through the internet for a picture but NOTHING! any advice would be much appreciated!