A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, so I'm still toying with the S8 idea and have few ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:53 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, so I'm still toying with the S8 idea and have few ????

I've driven, and liked, an 01, but am offered both an '02 and an '03 with extremely low miles. Unfortunately both are private party and over 1000 miles away, so I can't just go and test drive/look at them before I tentatively make up my mind.....

What are the major changes between the '02 and '03 besides color and rims? I assume the '03 lost the pax seat memory (like the S6) and little stuff like that. Does either have auto sensing lights? Any downsides of the '03 over the '02?

Thanks as always....
Old 05-19-2004, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Pax seat memory?

What is pax seat memory? Passenger seat memory? Couldn't tell you if they dropped it or not.

The 03 is a "special edition", only 300 came to the states, in one of three color options, black, silver/grey and ??? can't remember right now.

Maybe it was ming blue...with the carmel interior....cult color!!!

I don't think there were any real changes between years....some had the alacarta interiors, but that's the biggest thing I know.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:22 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, passenger seat memory....

...sorry, airline jargon....

The colors were
Avus Silver/burgundy
Black/beige
Ming Blue/platium
Old 05-19-2004, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default I think the silver came with carmel interior in 03....stunning cult combo

I have pictures of it somewhere....
Old 05-19-2004, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default much better car than the s6

imho of course...

no major model differences that i can recall.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:19 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Man....

...you guys aren't making my life any easier.....
Old 05-19-2004, 12:26 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default The ONLY thing that keeps me from jumping on the S8 is...

...losing the space in the Avant. It'll be much harder putting my two folding bikes in the trunk....
Old 05-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Don't bet on it...

The A8 boot is vast. I looked at a 5 series estate and an A6 Avant, both of which I tested by taking a full size road bike to the dealers and trying to get it into the boot (of course, that means with both wheels taken off). The A8 was the only one of the three that allowed me to lay the frame flat on the floor.

Remember that even though you have an Avant, the footprint (ie width & depth) of the luggage area is no different to that of the non-Avant model. You only get an advantage with an Avant once you start to load up around and above the top of the back seats. Then you have to secure the kit, and you can't use the rear view mirror so easily.

If you've got specific things that you want to carry in the car, then I definitely recommend taking them to a dealer, and asking to try getting them into a boot of the cars you're interested in. Hell, before the new A8 was launched here, I went to a preview at Audi's main showroom in central London. I went straight from my work, on my road bike. When about half the attendees had gone, I asked if I could try the boot. "Sure" said the Audi guys. So I went & unlocked my bike, pulled the wheels off, and tried it in the boot - easy fit!
Old 05-20-2004, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default the 03'....

True, only 300 03's imported. Brilliant Black/Caramel, Ming Blue/Platinum and Avus Silver/Burgundy.
My 03' has passenger seat memory, I'm not aware of anything being dropped in '03. There were only two major options packages, one being the solar sunroof and the other being (Navigation, rear seat heaters etc..)..you can find the original price list here on AW, I can't remember where however. The 01's and 02's had many many options broken out, which made shopping for the '03 easier. The wheels were changed in '03 as well. It's nit picky but the major thing I liked about the '03 was the interior wood trim is a bright lighter wood look, rather than what I found to be a drab, darker brown color in the '01's and '02's. Clearly just a matter of taste, but I thought it set off the '03 interior much better.
I drove 2500+ to get mine, a great way to learn about the car, was a great road trip.
Good luck!
Oh one other thing, as I recall the '01's didn't come with sport mode on the shifter. I wouldn't live without that option myself, I almost always drive it in "S".
Old 05-20-2004, 01:05 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks - did all the '03 come with

non heated 4 spoke steering wheels with tip and radio controls?

Quick Reply: OK, so I'm still toying with the S8 idea and have few ????