A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0730 incorrect gear ration

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0730 incorrect gear ration

I was driving my car yesterday when suddenly i began to smell burning oil so i stopped the car open the hood and noticed that the front of the car was full of transmission oil which was leaking badly I decide to go to the mechanic which was not so far away, on my way there the trans went into limp mode .
the mechanic checked the leak and it was from the transmission lining that goes to the cooler the screw was not tighten . he tightened up and no more oil is coming but he still didn't refill the trans but im getting this code is it something serious or only if i add oil it will be ok ?
P.S. :Before this problem everything was very normal
Old 08-27-2013, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVOZS8
I was driving my car yesterday when suddenly i began to smell burning oil so i stopped the car open the hood and noticed that the front of the car was full of transmission oil which was leaking badly I decide to go to the mechanic which was not so far away, on my way there the trans went into limp mode .
the mechanic checked the leak and it was from the transmission lining that goes to the cooler the screw was not tighten . he tightened up and no more oil is coming but he still didn't refill the trans but im getting this code is it something serious or only if i add oil it will be ok ?
P.S. :Before this problem everything was very normal
Wow...are you serious!?

DO NOT DRIVE IT AGAIN until you top it off with ATF correctly. Then see what happens >>>

You likely lost a significant amount of ATF, to get in limp mode and a trouble code.

From AudiPages...this filling from empty, but you still need to follow the preparation part of this procedure exactly before adding ATF till it overflows (car dead level, start with cold trans, engine running before pulling and replacing the fill plug :

Filling the Transmission
This is the MOST CRITICAL part of this procedure. Now came the hard part, filling the fluid.

You will need to make a pump to pump the fluid into the transmission. The pan has a stand pipe for the fill line, this is how the correct transmission fluid level is determined. Purchase a marine oil pump (one to fill an inboard/outboard drive) from a local marine store, and go to the hardware store and buy a small piece of copper tubing. Insert the copper tubing into the end of the pump (remove the fitting that comes with the pump) and bend it slightly so it can pump up and over the stand pipe. See pictures below.

Marine pump with copper tube fitted to pump oil into the transmission.

How pan stand pipe works to control level. Fluid is pumped into the transmission pan until the level reaches the top of the stand pipe. It then overflows out of the transmission. This level is higher when the car is not running versus running due to the hydraulic pump pumping fluid through the transmission.

The entire procedure is documented below from start to finish for ease of discussion.

Good idea to put the car up on lifts, drain the fluid, drop the pan and unbolt the filter at night.

Let is sit overnight, it will drain all night long.

The car must be at ambient (cool) temperature before filling the transmission! This requires the car to sit overnight to completely cool off.

Install the new filter the next morning (don't forget the filter to transmission o-ring/gasket), bolt the pan up. Fill the pan with as much fluid as you can with the car off (until it starts flowing out of the standpipe, what I call the fill hole).

Start the car. Right away it will start taking more, give it about 20-30 seconds to start pumping fluid through the tranny.

Keep filling until it overflows. Should be 2-3 more quarts (initial fill about 4 quarts).

Have somebody run through all the gears for 30 seconds each (with the brake on), when doing reverse, the fluid will flow out, let it, then go through N,D,4,3,2 30 seconds each. This is about 10-15 minutes into the fill after the car started.

Let the car run another 2 minutes, then run it through all gears for 30 seconds again, do Reverse for a shorter time because it will squirt out.

Keep filling so it has a slight overflow at all times.

If you have the Ross-Tech software, monitor ATF fluid temperature on group number 4, under measuring blocks, transmission module. The temperature of the ATF fluid during this procedure should be 30-45 C. If the engine is operated for about 15 minutes from ambient temperature, it will reach somewhere around 45 C at the end of the 15 minutes. This is why the car must be cooled overnight. If you do not have the software, just ensure it was cooled overnight. It is not absolutely critical to measure ATF fluid temperature. However, you CANNOT do this if the transmission is not at ambient at the beginning of the fill.

You'll need a total of 8 quarts of ATF on hand, I would have 9 there in case you spill one...you just might.

BEFORE TURNING OFF THE CAR, put the stand pipe plug in (fill plug). Turn off car. The procedure is complete. Test drive it for a few days, if anything does not sound correct, check level again. However, your transmission should be operating significantly smoother. There is no need to check the level again if there is nothing wrong with the transmission.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html

Last edited by silverd2; 08-27-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

thank you for your help .
i will do it tomorrow morning because the trans. temperature is still not cold enough .
i am very worried about the trany hope it will be fine when i refill it as per the procedure .
i will let you know
Old 08-27-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It can be hit or miss if the transmissions ok. I have some cars that come in after large fluid loss to the point of slippage/no move, and fix the leak fill them and go and its just fine. Others come back in a week not moving and the fluid smelling horribly like clutch material, or the the front pump grenades and fluids gushing out the bell housing.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

i just fill the trany as per the procedure it took more then 5 liters and fix the leak .Now its running fine .Hope that it will stay this way .
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVOZS8
i just fill the trany as per the procedure it took more then 5 liters and fix the leak .Now its running fine .Hope that it will stay this way .
That ought to do it. That is over half the factory fill...and WAY over half the normal service fill. It's amazing that you got the car home.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
That ought to do it. That is over half the factory fill...and WAY over half the normal service fill. It's amazing that you got the car home.
Thanks