A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PFL Euro S8 ecu in PFL US A8

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PFL Euro S8 ecu in PFL US A8

I know the engine internals ar'nt exactly the same but would the ecu bring any gains with the S8's maping?

Both cars are '98 prefacelift, ecu is from Euro S8, car is US A8.

Any thoughts/insight appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first thought is "immobiliser".
i don't know whether your PFL A8's had the immo activated or not, but in Europe they definately did. So you'll need to either get the ECU to talk to your immo (separate box under the dash on PFL possibly, in the dash cluster otherwise and requires a PIN code), or perform some sort of immo defeat.

As for performance enhancements of the ECU, you may see something, but without the S8 cams and higher S8 final drive, they'll be limited. Rev limit will likely be higher.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for taking the time!
Or PFL did'nt have immo but that's taken care of with 034: https://store.034motorsport.com/cata...bilizer+defeat

As for final drive, i'm waiting on my transmission to fail so i can rebuid it with the S8 one i have and instal the S8 diff at the same time. In the mean time it's recoded to 011 witch is way better than oe 012. As for cams i'm not sure i can instal the S8,s without also getting the hard lifters on,IIRC, exhaust side. Ours were all soft hydraulic lifters.

Did you guys get the PFL S8 in Australia or had to wait for FL like us?
Old 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have seen a PFL S8 driving through my local town a couple of years ago, so I would sort of assume we did. I suppose it could have been a personal import, but our regulations are pretty strict on that sort of thing.
I'm trying to think if I've ever seen any for sale... Maybe!

I don't know too much about the 32V S8 engines. Like the 40V though, I would expect the valve springs to be stiffer due to the increased red line and more aggressive cam profile, and obviously different cams.
Pretty sure the 40V sticks with hydraulic lifters though. I'll find out soon enough!

So you want to essentially build yourself a PFL S8?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah it's pretty mutch built aleready, only thing missing is drivetrain mods.

Here is what i did to it so far:

int.: center armrest from the facelift
S-line 3 spoke steering wheel
S8 recaro int. with S8's alcantera door cards
S8 shifter
Euro pfl S8 cluster

body: front upper pfl euro S8 grill
rear S8 bumper
euro clear side markers and blinkers
S8 Aluminum mirrors, i also added ecs tuning's blind spot lenses, very cool!!!

susp.: h/r coilovers, i replaced the coils with eybach drop cause pesonaly the h/r's were way to stiff for my taste
Rear Euro S8(18mm) sway bar(front is the same)

brakes: full S8 rear brake conversion
Front they're are alot of options including the S8 fronts(bolt on with the S8 uprights and rear susp.arms). I went with '08 S6 V10 front brakes(15inch rotors, thing stops on a dime, bit more moding needed but i love it)

All undecaridge/floor anti flex bars and S8 front subframe that has the extra flex bar.

Only thing left for me is to fit the front upper strut bar from the S8 and an apikol diff. mount. After that it's pretty mutch tapped out on mods for the prefacelift, so that's why i'm trying to sort out the pfl Euro S8's ecu and engine diff.

I like stance so oe et45 18inch wheels from the s8 with spacers on S8 spec tires 245/45/18 for winter and et35 rotor 20inch's for summer with 275/30/20's

Last edited by 90SQ; 02-15-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's a nice amount of work - reminds me of IT on A8parts, who did similar work, though on a FL and with an S8 engine.
I approve as you were missing the PFL S8 in Canada. Which 18's do you have? The PFL Avus 18's had a raised centre cap which would be more era correct, but I doubt you'd find any in NA.
- front upper strut bar... Is that the fixed alu bracket which runs from the strut cap to the chassis member to reinforce the strut tower? That's an 'optional' support I think, but well worth having on sports models.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah i put in alot of wrench time on it but it helped that i found a smached S8 cheap for parts. Motor of the S went in my '94 '90 B4 that is now really fare from stock, everything else i transferd to the pfl A. Wheels are stock fl S8 Avus but no, not the era accurate, later model...only for winter anyway, summer's are really nice on the pfl, flush with fenders like i like them.

Yes, front upper strut bar is the one that reinforces the strut towers, i need to move a solid brake hose from MC to get it to fit...did'nt think to take it from the S8 when dismantling unfortunatly and nobody keeps them so will have to fabricate one.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You'll find one somewhere!
4D0412395B

A8parts in the UK will sell them, if you can't find them more locally.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

No this one: 4D0805645E

I have the brace, what i'm missing is one of the brake hard lines that comes out of the MC is shaped differently to allow the passage of the strut brace.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ah ok!
Try 4D1614705R
and 4D1614706P

You can probably buy them from a dealer, or find a wrecker with a FL model - Wolf Auto Parts, or similar

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 01-26-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: PFL Euro S8 ecu in PFL US A8