A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up my new A8

Old 10-16-1999, 08:27 AM
Milo

Default Picking up my new A8

Thanks to everyone who makes this site possible, including the A4.org folks and those who have posted messages here. On Monday, I take delivery of my 2000 A8! Test drove it yesterday (I had actually ordered it several weeks ago) and found that it surpassed my considerable expectations. It is a stunning car!! And I always thought I would get a 740iL....

I say thanks, because this site and everyone's contributions made this a more informed and satisfying decision. Happy trails...
Old 10-18-1999, 12:59 PM
Alan

Default Congratulations! A couple of questions ...

I was just wondering what options and color combination you ordered on your '00 A8. Also, I am curious to know what kind of deals ($ off MSRP or over invoice) are being made on the '00 A8. Thanks!
Old 10-19-1999, 04:08 AM
Milo

Default Re: Answers to Alan's questions ...

Alan, I ordered the Cashmere Grey with Cashmere int. -- it is extraordinary! Most of the cars I have had in the past were black or metallic black or very dark blue. But I intend to keep this car for awhile, and I find that no matter how careful I am or how good the 'brushless' car wash is, I start noticing swirls in the paint of a dark car after 4-6 months. The lighter cars do not show this as readily.

As for options, the only thing I did not get was the "warm weather package"...don't ask me why I "saved" a little money there. So it came with the GPS Nav, 17" spoked wheels, Accoustic Parking, Comfort Seats, Xenon lites. Oh yeah, and I did not get the special leather either ($3,000 what?).

As for the deal, I have to offer two caveats: 1) I placed this order before the '00 began arriving at the dealers and they still were operating under the assumption that this A8 would sell (in part, because Audi reduced the invoice and MSRP by about $7k)and before the dealer had any 'excess' inventory. In fact, the dealer was still trying to unload all of its '99 A8's and would only get aggressive on those. 2) I didn't push the dealer on price. I wanted this car, and I didn't care whether I left a couple of grand on the table. Instead, I went in with a researched and reasoned request for trade-in value on my A6, and an offer on the A8 that gave the dealer approx. 5.5% over invoice. I know that is plenty; in the past I would give a dealer 2-3% profit over invoice. But hey, I told the dealer that I knew my offer was fat, but that I wanted to give them an incentive to locate the car and deliver it to me ASAP. It seemed to have worked. The dealer located the car while it was still in production in Germany, put a claim on it, then tracked it to the US port and beat back other dealers who were eyeing it (or so they tell me and so I choose to believe!).

Bottom line -- Did I overpay? Probably. Do I care? Nope. Do I love driving this car? More than any other I have ever owned or driven!

Hope this answers your questions.
Old 10-19-1999, 12:58 PM
Jimmy Pribble

Default Congratulations! (more)

Cashmere is simply beautiful! I have seen an UrS6 in cashmere and it was stunning.

Happy motoring,

Jimmy
1993 UrS4<ul><li><a href="http://pweb.netcom.com/~jkp.mail/index.html">Jimmy's Audi S4 Pages</a></li></ul>