A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is It Possible To Use The Existing GPS Antenna with Streets & Trips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It Possible To Use The Existing GPS Antenna with Streets & Trips?

Or any other navigation program? Is there an output cable from the gps that is accessible and can this be interfaced? Anyone try this out yet?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Is It Possible To Use The Existing GPS Antenna with Streets & Trips?

Why would you not use GPS that came with you car???
Old 01-13-2005, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: maybe i'm not being clear

Instead of buying and then having to deal with running the wires and mounting another gps antenna somewhere on the car I was wondering if I can interface with the existing gps antenna on the trunk of my 01. I want to think about buying a navigation unit or setting up a laptop...
Old 01-13-2005, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default If you have a factory GPS antenna installed.....you have the sat nav system already

So why would you need a new GPS system? I don't get it.

Anyways, if you wanted to, you could use the antenna, just get an antenna extension wire....right now it terminates at the sat nav box in the left rear of the trunk....has a funny connector on it....then you would need a jumper cable to go from it to your Nav device.....I know Jon Lofquist might have one....but you need to determine what you'll need on the other side.

And the cable will probably be $40-$50.

pw
Old 01-13-2005, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Possibly to USB or other PC interface? Jon Lofquist Contact Info?

Hi Paul, thanks for the info. Reliable as ever!

Do you have any contact info for Jon Lofquist?

I don't have the NavPlus and I don't have the discs for the regular navigation which kinda sucks anyway. I was thinking of setting up a laptop to run navigation, something akin to what tozoa8 has done and it would be nice to use the integrated antenna versus figuring out how to wire and place a new antenna.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2005, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Do you know if you have a Nav C or Nav D?

If you have Nav C.....I could give you a "test" cd to see if it works.....have the 04 release.

Jon's contact is jonlofquiest at aol.com

He's not going to be able to help you unless you know exactly what you want to plug it into.

And you already have the Nav system, which is really a great system! Even if you need a D disc, you can either find them on ebay for cheap or go to the Navigation Yahoo group and I bet somebody could supply you with a "test" CD.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I made my system with the laptop because I didn't have NAV in my car.

You have a NAV system already it just need a tune-up. A laptop based GPS will require a lot of work and at least $500 if you have a laptop already. It took me like 40 hours. You don't want to cut you dash right away, it will take time to think it over.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: external mounted monitor

Hi tozoa8, i'm thinking about mounting a monitor in front of the vents not in place of like you have it there. The computer stuff I have lots and lots of.

Been running some ideas through my head that I've been a wuss/too lazy to do to my last couple of cars!
Old 01-13-2005, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: How Do I Tell - Nav C or Nav D?

I have a 2001 A8L, how do I tell if it's a Nav C or Nav D? I would love a "test" CD.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-13-2005, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here is the GPS antenna that I am using. It is compatible with ....

Microsoft Street &amp; Trips, DeLorme Topo 4.0, Teletype ( I have these in my car )and many others. It is an excellent antenna, it locks in 5-8 sec in a coldest Chicago morning. If you don't have the filmed window ( summer package ) you can put it under the rear shelf. I think Paul installed his there.<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=4668&amp;item= 5742830401&amp;rd=1">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=4668&amp;item= 5742830401&amp;rd=1</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Is It Possible To Use The Existing GPS Antenna with Streets & Trips?