A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem after changing transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem Solved! Dropped the pan, filter appeared to be the same as original, but filed off a little off the pick up tube and the problem is solved. Thanks all for the advice!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm glad you got it straighten out... Next time, if it doesn't break, don't touch anything. My car has 164k miles, never replaced transmission fluid once, still running perfectly... When it's time to get a newer A8 (which may be a few years, my wife still loves the old car)... just donate and forget about it. Transmission problems has nothing to do with transmission fluid changed regularly. The more you take it out, the more chance you screw it up. People up here are enthusiasts, they have time to experiment and know how to fix when they screw up... Just don't listen to everything. The less you maintain your car, the longer it will last, at least in my case. The goal is 150k/200k? with the least head ache and money to enjoy the car? My A8 is the most reliable car ever... only oil change every 10k miles since it doesn't drink oil, that's once a year. Just gas and drive... still gets 20mpg at every fill up, that's $30/year maintenance.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

"The less you maintain your car, the longer it will last"

Are you out of your freaking mind...!

Whenever you replace something on a car, just compare old and new.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Help with valve body please....

This thread is very helpful. I have the same problem, but mine is (I think) caused by a good size dent in the tranny pan. When I have the pan down I was considering having the valve body tested (in case its not the pan) are there any recommended shops and is the valve body R&R pretty straight forward other than the retaining bail on the wiring harness? My vehicle has 134K miles and missed shifts on 1`st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Strange thing is that there's no CEL and Vag Com reports no fault. My car is also a mystery since it has a different trans ode than the VIN lists, so the prior owner had a major failure causing the tranny change. Since the trans code was different, I replaced the TCU with the TCU that mates with this tranny code. Oh it's a 5HP 24a behind a 4.2 circa 2000 model year.

Thanks (I'm also pretty well versed on the fluid level check and refill procedure)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Louis,
I have a question for you. I have a 2010 A5 Cabriolet. There is some slipping and banging when i accelerate, any ideas?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gregg117
Problem Solved! Dropped the pan, filter appeared to be the same as original, but filed off a little off the pick up tube and the problem is solved. Thanks all for the advice!
Gregg - I wanted to add my thanks for posting this as well. I just pre-emptively replaced the lower valve body + transgo valve on my 2003 S8 after reading all the other warnings about blown A Drums from pressure spike/cracked valve body etc. My car made the same whirring sound as soon as it came off the lift so my mechanic changed the filter twice before I even picked the car up. He does a ton of ZF transmissions but even he was stumped. I will report back to this thread to confirm if the issue was wrong filter neck.

Does anyone know if there is a brand / part # that is correctly sized without modifying it?
Old 06-25-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

This ATP is listed as having the 3/4" neck: ATP B348 {#0501006460, 501006460} Premium Replacement 3/4" High Neck

I do not recall if it comes with the thick silicone gasket that gave me lots of trouble or not.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

UPDATE ON "Whirring" after valve Body replacement....I went back to the mechanic in Long Island that did the valve body. He put in a new filter with cut outs in the neck (a suggestion from the folks at Eriksson in CT) and brand new Lifeguard OEM tranny fluid.

The whirring has improved and it actually shifts better but whirring has not been eliminated like others have been able to do. I also found out that the Transgo valve was not put in because he put in a brand new valve body instead. Mechanic has offered to redo the entire valve body install with the transgo valve but I suspect that is not the issue.

Any thoughts on why the whirring (happens at the top of the shift, under moderate to aggressive throttle) is still there? The shop owner is such a good guy and very competent on ZF transmissions - but fairly new to Audi specs.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2020, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Update on Tranny Issues - gear recognition

Just closing the loop on my transmission posts. I had posted about a "whirring" between gear changes after installing a new valve body & new transmission fluid (initially to address a thumping issue). The new valve body did help reduce the thumping (which really turned out to be a gear recognition issue and not a tranny going bad) but it would always have one missed gear event per start up.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when a rough starting issue was resolved by installing a new fuel filter at 125,000 miles and it solved the gear recognition issue as well. No clue why that would be but its been a few weeks now and there is no issue at all with the tranny (yeah!) and my gas mileage is back to the rated Hwy mileage (20 M/ gal).

Thanks to all who responded to my prior posts. I hope this update helps someone. Feeling pretty good about the next 100K miles !

And the "whirring" is almost gone. I still don't know why its there but barely noticeable.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

If they installed the 1" long neck filter even with some cutouts I think it'd be starving the trans of fluid. Not worth the risk IMO.