A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud new owner of an A8L

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud new owner of an A8L

Hello all,

I managed to pick up a used 2002 A8L this weekend with 95k miles on it for $5500.00. The car is immaculate and has all the service records. Driving it home I couldn't help but think how much car I got for my money. Everything in the car works except for a secondary air injection error that appears to be caused by rotted vacuum lines which will be addressed this week

I am going to have the timing belt, pulleys, water pump and thermostat done and have the tranny serviced with a new filter and fluid. Is there anything else that I should have a look at?

There is literally not a single ding on the whole car I am astounded at the condition of the thing.

Thanks for the help and I will see you around.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If the transmission is shifting properly, you may not want to service it. If you do some research I think you will find that the consensus is that any change to fluid at this point could do more harm than good.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is shifting properly with no issues. From what I have read the fluid should be changed but only with very specific fluid to the proper level once it has come up to temperature.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Eightmn, nice looking L you've got : )

As per ZF, the fluid should be changed every 60k. I have the number for ZF America lying around somewhere, I can get it if you want to ask them any questions. I'm pretty sure I used Royal Purple when I refilled mine.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As those car auction guys say, That car was well bought. You might find slightly cheaper examples but they would be whipped. To get any of them into the shape yours is in would run far more than what you paid. Nice car.

Knock on wood, I'm at 170k on my original tranny and have changed the fluid and filter twice on my watch, at about 70 and 120k with all stock bits. I've been lucky.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What do people call these wheels? My friend called them dinner plates or satelite dishes.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Eightmn
What do people call these wheels? My friend called them dinner plates or satelite dishes.
"pie plates"
Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You got a nice A8L funny thing is sent the owner of that car $4800.00 he had the cashier check already in his possession the owner lived in Pennsylvania and I was going send he him another $800.00 cashiers check already made out which we agreed on for a total of $5600.00. You got a nice deal I'm just glad he sent my check back after almost 1 month. I wish you the best of luck with it glad the car went to a nice home.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad you got your money back sorry to hear the deal went down like that. When I was negotiating with him he said something about a cashier check he had but I wasn't sure it was true. Thought he was just playing a card.

Did he tell you that the timing belt, water pump, secondary air pump, and abs sensors were recently replaced??
Old 11-17-2014, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes he did first he had listed the car for 4500.00 on Craigslist. When I called just using first initials L he said someone suppose to get the car and if they don't would I pay more. the person didn't get the car so we agreed on 4800.00. He said the car was in Maryland at his mechanics shop along with his boat. I sent him a cashiers check for the 4800.00. After i sent the check he said he apologized but his mechanic had replaced the timing belt,water pump, he said secondary air pump just needed a relay and i could replace the abs sensors on my own could i pay another $900.00. i told him i was going to get the work done where i live which is Michigan so i could have a warranty. Anyway I told him to send the check back it went to his PO Box. 12 days later just when the post office was gonna send the check back he goes and picks it up asking me if i wanted to reconsider. I did against my wife saying no went and got another cashiers check for 800.00 didn't send it yet cause he was suppose to bring the car back to Pennsylvania but he sold it that weekend. I have the original paper work on how much he originally paid which was 7,700.00 last year. Suppose to close an deal on a 2003 a8l same color as yours has 101,000 miles. for 5300.00 in a couple days hope he isn't another L. Lol. He also said after he sold the car to you that it was good our deal didn't go through because his mechanic lied and no work had been do to the car.

Quick Reply: Proud new owner of an A8L