A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing advise. Please

Old 12-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing advise. Please

Howdy. I've not posted here in more than 5 years... but I'm back.

I've got a neighbor who has a metallic tan colored 2001 S8 with 75,700 miles that he is willing to sell me. Long story short: I drive by the car a lot and this morning I left him a note to see if he wanted to sell it because it looks like he doesn't drive it.

The outstanding issue with the car is the front bumper. He backed over a speed bump and tore the front driver's side off. I'm not sure if it is only broken clips or truly damaged parts. He said a rough estimate is 4k to fix.

He said timing belt was done recently. He said the car is in excellent condition, no other issues, runs and drives great.

He will sell it to me for 7k because that is what he thinks he will get for trade in at a dealer, otherwise he will have it repaired and list it for a lot more.

Advice needed: Should I buy it? My motivation is basically that I hate to see the thing sitting out there unloved. I've loved S8s forever, probably since Ronin like so many other kids of the era. Selfishly I'd like to drive it for a month then sell it at a decent profit. Possible? Foolish?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy it!! Front bumper can be replaced for much less.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went by and snapped a few pics of it and sat in it. Truthfully, I'm slightly less excited after having done so. There is a dent in the rear quarter panel and some scratches on the rear bumper below the hatch probably from loading and unloading. The interior looks decent but needs a detail, the leather isn't horribly cracked but it shows definite signs of having needed better leather care.

The front bumper is just sorta hanging there but he said I could take it for a drive if I like and that it's fine to drive as-is.

He says he thinks he is the third owner and he did the timing belt closer to 50k because even though the car is low miles the dealer said it was worth doing because of it's age.

He said the 4k repair estimate was to make the whole car right, so I guess that includes the rear quarter panel dent.

I might take it by my favorite body shop to get my own estimate. I should probably run a carfax if I am serious as well.

Are there other things people would advise?

Thanks!
Attached Images    
Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

>>>

http://www.kbb.com/audi/s8/2001-audi...e-party#survey
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not so easy. Take it from me. I had a 1999 audi a8 that needed a bumper. I believe the front bumper mounts are kinda weak so a minor bump might cause the bumper to be loose. Anyhow. THOSE BUMPERS ARE RARE. Cheapeast bumper I found was about $780 Used plus shipping. I searched everywhere, ebay. craigslist in every state and many salvage yards and located about 2. Shipping plus getting it sanded and painted is about $1k.

THe pre 2003 audi a8s were kinda rare. Audi didnt really sell all that many so to find a a8 in the junkyard that has not sustained a front accident is very difficult.

Not saying not to get it, but just wanted to get a heads up.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing the pics of the driver door trim pealing off and the rear dent I would suggest getting a really good look underneath the car. My hunch is that more happened than a "backed over speed bump.."