A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My friends tranny on his S8 went out on him at 70k miles, any suggestions on where to pick up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My friends tranny on his S8 went out on him at 70k miles, any suggestions on where to pick up...

...a replacement tranny? Dealer is quoting him 8k! any input/suggestions appreciated
Old 05-03-2006, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Location?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Suggestions

For my A6 4.2, also with the 5HP24A tranny, an authorized ZF rebuilder/distributor, Ericcson Industries in CT quoted me just over $4K plus freight and core. Their warranty is 12 months, unlimited miles and they will pay flat rate reimbursement if it needs warranty replacement. My issue was ultimately electrical, so I didn't need a full rebuild. They did do my valve body, and I'm very satisfied with that.

For my particular tranny they had a rebuildable core the said they could work with. I posted with this message a link to the zf distributor page; maybe one closer to you does it too. When I called the ones here in Northern CA though, they begged off. Another one, Jaggai (sp?) who advertises on the net, told me to call Ericcson. I think they may specialize by car manufacturer, and Ericcson obviously does Audis. They have a basic web site at: http://www.erikssonindustries.com On any of these ideas, you would of course have to have a shop pull it and replace it, so that's extra.

Relative to dealer, going to a zf distributor makes sense since Audi gets them from zf anyway.

You can also go with the guys on e bay at $2K plus freight and core, but the posting record of success there seems murky at best. I also want a tranny rebuilt with factory ZF parts; I wasn't clear that's what they did. Level ten is another possibility for a performance rebuild, but there are a few mixed opinions there too if you look on the S4 board.

Finally, you might find a local shop who knows these. ZF certainly is selling all manner of rebuild parts to the jobbers and shops. I wouldn't go the corner shop or franchise though without a satisfied Audi referral for this type of tranny.<ul><li><a href="http://www.zf-group.com/am/pc/pt/ampcpt06.phtml">zf distributors</a></li></ul>
Old 05-04-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seattle, WA area

Go to the ZF website and go to passenger cars and then go to distributors. Pick your region on the map that should come up and then they will list ZF distributors and some of them may actually do the work. You can contact them to find out if they do the work and the costs and what kind of warranty. That's how I found the shop that did my repair and it shouldn't cost more than about $3500. Good luck and post updates.