A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for PaulW and others - rear seat/hat shelf removal for sunshade motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for PaulW and others - rear seat/hat shelf removal for sunshade motor

I've been using the NavPlus guide to prepare for replacing the motor for my sun shade (got a used motor, and it works) - my questions are around disconnecting the rear seat air bags. If I disconnect the battery first, and then disconnect the air bags and reconnect them at the end, will the computer still know something happened that I will need to get reset? or should I be ok?

Anyone have any tips on replacing the rear sun shade motor? Do I need to remove the entire shelf, or at some point does the sun shade box lift out motor and all? Anyone have specific instructions on doing this?

Thanks,
Garth
'97 Silver A8<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/upgrades/navplusgps.html">NavPlus Rear Seat Removal</a></li></ul>
Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default You don't have to remove the seat for the sunshade.

Yank the headrests out to have more room to work. Pop off the top cover from the shade. I don't remember if you have to get the whole ting out or you can get just the motor off. There are a couple screws from the trunk to remove and you can get the whole thing out.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: You don't have to remove the seat for the sunshade.

I've removed the top cover before and the motor is screwed in from the bottom - but not from the trunk. I think I need to do most of the hat shelf to get to it.

What do you mean 'yank the headrests' - i need to removed the rear seat to do this right - once these are out, i think i am over half way there.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I was wrong. I am doing an interior swap on my car and I just took the sunshade out.

You need to remove the seats for it. Two screws for the bottom, two for the back. Pull the cover for the shade. Remove 3 nuts from the trunk side. Remove 3 plastic pins from the rear deck (behind the seat back) and pull the whole deck up and forward.