A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for VA drivers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for VA drivers

It's now likely I'll be moving to Virginia in the next several months and I'd like to get a quick overview of owning highend sports cars in that state. I've heard some not-so-good things and would like to hear from those on the ground out there.

For starters, I understand there's a nasty "property tax" which is levied on the book value of your car every year. Can anyone provide the details?

Next, I hear radar detectors are illegal. I have a built in unit I'd prefer not to have to unistall (not only for protection, but just the cosmetic problems as it's custom mounted in the front grill and dash.) Is this a fix-it ticket if they happen to see it or do they pursue it like a real crime? What's the deal?

Answers to these questions, and anything else that you think I should know would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Question for VA drivers(long)

Ugh... living in VA.

I've got a '99 A6 2.8 and they taxed the hell out of me when I first got it. I dont remember how much it cost at first probably because on a subconcious level i'm trying to repress the anxiety it caused. I just signed the check and let it go, but it was definitely in the 4 digit range for me. Try looking at the state of Virginia's website. I think they cover it there.

http://ci.alexandria.va.us/city/tax_guide/

On the bright side, the longer you live here in VA, the lower the tax gets. Or maybe that's the depreciating value of my car...

And as for radar detectors in VA. Yes they are illegal and I have heard stories of state troopers asking you for the radar detector and then proceeding to step on it repeatedly. They dont like those things at all. But, like you, I have the k40 undetectable and nothing has come up yet. But I make it a note to turn it off when a policeman pulls up anywhere around me.

BTW, the effectiveness of the k40 is questionable here in VA because I havent heard it go off too often since ive moved here 4 years ago except when I pass by grocery stores. It could very well be that VA has enough money to use laser now, but I dont have full confirmation of that. I DO know that they have that chopper flying around on 495 and 395 and they could potentially use a laser gun to hit the flat surface of your roof and clock your speed.
Back in NJ, the k40 kix ***. Then again, NJ is a little behind on the times.
If you wanna read on how the k40 underperformed as compared to other models goto www.radartest.com
Some of the models they compare arent completely hidden from view, but they perform a lot better than the k40.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:07 PM

Default Thanks

Hi Sust,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I better get a second job just to own my car!

Yeah, I'm a bit spoiled in California -- home of the car enthusiast. I guess I'll have to get used to keeping it down around town in VA.

The model I've got is the Passport SR-1. Turns out it's the #1 remote system on the website you recommended. Cool. I'll have to keep it out of view should I see a cruiser.

Curious if I'll have to have an auto inspection to get VA plates. They might have a problem with the unit at that time. We'll see.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:19 AM

Default radar detector math

>I DO know that they have that chopper flying >around on 495 and 395 and they could potentially >use a laser gun to hit the flat surface of your >roof and clock your speed.

I do not think this is true. Radar or lasers must be inline with the direction of travel or you get cosine error. It would be possible to measure velocity by tracking the target and measureing the rate of change of rotation of the targeting device (assuming that you knew your position in the air at all times). Highly unlikely though, since it would require expensive equipment. It's easier to paint markers on the freeway and use a five dollar stop watch.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Question for VA drivers

1. The annual property tax on vehicles personally owned, as opposed to corporately owned, is now dramatically reduced. The Commonwealth of Virginia rebates to the local government about 80% of the levy. You pay the remaining 20%. The property tax varies from county to county.

2. From recent and costly personal experience I can tell you that police are indeed using laser. Also, police departments are buying Chevrolet Impala sedans and seem to be phasing out their Ford Crown Victoria sedans.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:41 AM

Default Re: radar detector math

Heh.
Uhh... yeah. I dont know too much about what youre talking about but it sounds right. :-)

I was just originally guessing what the helicopters were doing up there over 495 and 395.
Lemme swing over to www.howstuffworks.com