A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio backlighting stays on???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio backlighting stays on???

Has this ever happened to anyone?

A little background: I just added a battery maintainer to my S8 last Wednesday evening. I went on a trip Thursday morning, and when I returned home on Sunday night the radio was lit up. Nothing else was on, just the backlight of the Symphony 2 unit. Also, I can't get it to work anymore, even with car running. It was pretty dark out and I was dead tired from travels, but I pulled fuse panel cover and stared at it. I couldn't find the fuse for the radio. Is it somewhere else? I disconnected the battery maintainer, so I figure the car will be dead upon return home this evening.

Which fuse is for the radio? What else can I try before finding a replacement? I've found new old stock ones for $99, so if it's an internal problem with the head unit I'll just replace it. Anyone else have this problem ever? I read the post below, but it just says to disconnect the battery every time it happens. I was wondering the root cause of the fault. The entire stereo is OEM except for added subwoofer. Someone in that post says radio fuse is on driver's side.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2819466
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The "radio/loudspeaker" fuse is in trunk, above the battery...top, middle 20 amp.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Plus, there should be a fuse on the back of the radio itself. My Symphony 1 has a 7.5 amp fuse there.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an RNS-d if you want to "upgrade."

It works fine, just not what I wanted, but I know the prior owner spent $$ to get it installed and working. Has the California CD/DVD.

It was funny driving home, as the DVD for the nav ran out of information, it still would give me Lat/Long numbers, but had no data for roads/towns etc.

It's like I drove off the edge of the world in the mind of the NAV system. LOL

It was all hooked up to work with the center display too.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you kindly. I appreciate the offer, but ordered a replacement Symphony II as it suited my needs just fine. I couldn't get the old unit to come back to life no matter what I tried (now I have to figure out how to get my CD's out of it). I drive my car so rarely and never to an unknown location (wife's 38mpg Accord goes on the long road trips and the 12mpg Bronco goes camping & skiing)...the nav would be useless for me.

If anyone ever needs a new Symphony II, I ordered from these guys:

http://www.europaparts.com/audi-a8-s...d0035195j.html

I remember last year ECS had a few new units for $39 and I recall thinking: "Hmm, I should just pick one up in case mine ever breaks." I can't really complain about $99 though as still a deal.