AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   rain-sensing wipers (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/rain-sensing-wipers-1738728/)

jr87492 10-01-2003 07:31 AM

rain-sensing wipers

Does the '04 A8L have rain-sensing wipers?
If not, why not?
Thanks.

ryoung 10-01-2003 07:40 AM

If yes, is there an off switch?

I use Rain-X and rarely use the wipers once the car is moving.

greenie 10-01-2003 08:33 AM

Re: rain-sensing wipers

I havent had mine in the rain so I dont really know. I do not remember that being either an option or standard equipment. Is that important to you? Pretty soon, the car will be doing everything and the driver can just go to sleep! IMHO, I would rather see the driver manipulate the car and not the other way around.

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre.....manual wipers

jr87492 10-01-2003 08:41 AM

I was just curious, that's all. From what I've read to date, it doesn't appear to have this feature. It's a bit surprising giving the technological excesses that they include in vehicles these days.

Do you really need to drive yours in the rain to know?

pikejerky 10-01-2003 08:49 AM

No Audi has shipped from the factory with rain-sensing wipers. You can get them on a Passat though.

My guess is the Phateon would have them too but I'm not sure.

greenie 10-01-2003 08:54 AM

I guess driving in the rain would be a dead giveaway!

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre

pikejerky 10-01-2003 10:35 AM

Phaeton wiper info...

No rain-sensing but the list of wiper "features" is a long one.

- auto 5 second pause after wipers are turned off before a last swipe is made to clear remaining droplets

- auto headlamp dirt-sensor triggers spray when lights need it (one light at a time to preserve lumen output)

- speed-sensing wiper frequency adjustmemt

and finally the feature I would never have thought of...

- after every second wiping session the resting angle of each wiper is adjusted by one or two degrees to maximize efficency and blade life

but no rain-sensing

Dave G 10-01-2003 07:29 PM

I use Rain-X also, and I'd prefer NO rain sensing wipers; or at least an "off" switch for them.

USA8L 10-02-2003 07:01 AM

The 04 does not have them, but when left in the intermittent mode the wipers tend to behave like rain sensing wipers.

I find that when in intermittent mode the wiper blades will stop completely when the car is stopped. As speed increases, they tend to pick up speed too, to the point that when you are on the highway the wipers are going full time.

There is no mention in any of the brouchures or window sticker of rain sensing wipers, so maybe it's speed related. But I will say this, I had rain sensing wipers on an 98 Benz and they performed exactly the same as my Audi in intermittent mode.

CBS4 10-02-2003 12:38 PM

I asked a senior employee at Audi of North America and he said that Dr.Martin Winterkorn,Chairman of the Board in Germany, does not believe in them,and therefore they will never be offered unless there is a change of mind in Ingolstadt.