A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view mirror came off the windshield today... Advice requested.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view mirror came off the windshield today... Advice requested.

Walked up to my car today after a day at the office and noticed my rear view mirror was dangling by a wire from the ceiling. Hey, I now have a rear view mirror that functions as a G-force indicator as well! ;-)

There was no adhesion left between mirror and windshield what so ever. When I peeled the "glue" of the windshield, it seemed to be more of a plastic transparent disc that used to be adhesive at some point in its life.

Bought some glue at Sears that is especially made to stick rear view mirrors back to windshields: to me it looks like a bit of a messy process.

My question is whether there are adhesive discs made specifically for this application? It looks like Audi uses them in their production lines...

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After you glue it back, put a drywall screw trough it to make sure it won't come off again.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How many times has yours fallen off? ;-) Seriously though, are there adhesive discs for this?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is still on.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Same thing happened to me recently.

My first reaction was to try to re-glue it on myself, using one of the mirror adhesive kits from the parts store. I wasn't able to make it work, so I called a glass place recommended by the local dealer. They met me at the Audi dealer one day when they were there replacing a windshield in a customer's car. The technician took about 20 minutes to re-glue my mirror to the windshield, and didn't charge me a dime -- customer accomodation he called it, even though I was really not his customer. The whole trick is prying the metal mount (that is glued to the windshield) rom the end of the mirror mounting arm. It didn't look to me like it was supposed to come out, but it does.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mine has come off twice

the windshield is curved, and the button is flat, so it doesn't adhere well. Hot sun softens the glue, and... plop.

The first time I glued mine back on, I used a kit that included a little adhesive disk, which accomodated some of the difference in curvature.

The second time, I couldn't find that kind of kit. Took several tries to hold the whole mirror assembly in place for two minutes without wiggling it.

I also tried some quick-cure epoxy (man, that stuff gets hot) thinking it would accomodate the curvature better, but I think I couldn't hold the mirror steady for long enough.

Wish I had known that the button really does come out of the mirror...
Old 07-22-2005, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Now that sounds like a great idea
Old 07-22-2005, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed. That would make things a lot less messy: apply the glue to the detached button only and...

...then position it to the wind shield.

Thanks for all the tips!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I was thinking: have somebody else do it!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I see. I guess I don't feel lucky enough today to find someone to do it for free. Seems an easy...

...job if I can take the button out and glue it to the glass by itself at first.

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror came off the windshield today... Advice requested.