A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S4 or A8??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-1999, 11:26 PM
t.anderson

S4 or A8??
Old 12-09-1999, 05:23 AM
Steve S.

Default I have real trouble seeing them grouped together

The two of them are TOTALLY different cars. An argument could be made that compares the S4 to the A6 2.7T...because they are close...same engine...relatively same 0-60 times...S4 has better handling...slightly lighter...A6 2.7T is more roomy...with the price being slightly different...but close

And, one might argue the merits of the A6 vs. the A8. With the A8 having much more amenities and more room...but with considerably more cost. The A8 is definitely a luxury sports sedan, no question about it. The A8 is much heavier even though it is laced with aluminum parts. The A8s competitors are the 740i and 740iL and some of the bigger Mercedes models.

I dunno, I just cannot weigh the S4 against the A8...they are just too different to me.

Oh well, that is why they call it opinions.

Steve S.
97 A4 2.8QM
00 S4 (xmas delivery?)
Old 12-13-1999, 01:30 PM
Cameron

Default I hope Steve gets his S4 soon so he can get off the Net and into a car :-(

Just kidding, Steve :-) nice to see you making the hike out to the proverbial A8 forum boonies.

I helped my father make this decision recently, and it is ANYTHING but a rational one.

Question:

Executive living in Redmond wants one or two of the following list:

Porsche 996 Turbo AWD
Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
Audi TT Quattro
Audi A8 4.2 Quattro

He picked the first and third. Why?

I said, "Hey! Those are the two least practical, the ones most likely to end up wedged in some Rainier foothill due to some incompetent valet, the ones you're more likely to park next to at Cafe Juanita or the Yarrow Bay Grill (his two favorite restaurants), what are you thinking!!!"

The response: the 911 has so much nicer seats. They really hug you like my old Lotus. And it has a manual. It's a shame the A6 4.2 doesn't have a manual or I would have bought it. I mean, most people have their own cars, they can follow me somewhere or something if they're from out of town, they usually have the obligatory SEATAC Camry anyway. The TT feels like a nice, quaint little British sports car too. It's so great because if those little motors that put the windows up another centimeter fail one day, that'll just be marked up to character. In the A6, it'd be a technical flaw and Barrier would call me with a TSB.

You can't think about these cars logically. If I thought logically, I'd get an S2000 or a 996 Carrera 4 Cabriolet instead of buying a TT 225 coupe and having all sorts of custom gadgetry installed. But who knows?

As the folks at Bentley used to say, "Our competitors aren't our peers, we have no peers." That's how I see most Audi and Porsche products right now, except for the Boxster, which I still cannot bring myself to love. It's simply too civilized to be the misbehaved mid-engined roadster it should be.

Cameron
Old 12-15-1999, 06:09 PM
Steve S.

Default The S6 should be on that list as well

340 bhp V8....with those wide fenders...255 or wider tires...quattro....6speed.

Yes.....I can see it now.

Ok, AoA ...I will need one in about 3.5 years...when my unit goes off on its own...
and goes public.

Steve S.

P.S. Was this your dad...or just someone at the evil empire?
Old 12-15-1999, 11:01 PM
Cameron

Default Yep, it was my dad -- happened to be a convenient example for this one (nt)

nt