A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8; Driver-side rattle/trim noise ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8; Driver-side rattle/trim noise ???

I am having a "door rattle/trim rattle" noise by my left ear - (driver-side door or the seatbelt pillar) when driving slowly over rough street.... Similar to what a few other guys seem to be having?

Doesn't sound like the UK guy's "rain noise" but there does seem to be a rattle of some kind right there on these cars....

What do we do to get Audi to open a maint./recall on this problem....
Old 03-04-2001, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: S8; Driver-side rattle/trim noise ???

Maybe my description of the rain is rather vague. This problem started on the passenger side (Thats your drivers side to the people with left hand drive) and after a couple of weeks started on the opposite side. It is getting progressively worse. It is not a loud noise and almost impossible to pinpoint. However if you push or pull the top of the door while driving.or even put your fingers in the gap it stops. It definately drives me crazy!!!

The dealer has looked at the problem carefully and can only guess there is a problem with the rubber seals. He has compared my car to other models, and indeed an older A8 and found the seals do not have the "stickyness" of mine.

I do not relish the thought of Audi (the dealer) replacing all the rubber seals. This is a big job especially replacing the leather door panels due to discoloration at the same time!!! I would rather one of you can give me a less drastic solution....Same goes for my Gearbox problem in my "Dangerous" post below. Once a dealer has pulled apart a new car (2 months old by the way) to this extent it is never the same as factory.
Old 03-04-2001, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Possible answer...

I've got the same noise on my 2001 A8 short wheel base. I read in the exterior tech section that Audi changed pillar cover. The new pilliar cover makes the noise. see the following URL.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext22.shtml<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext22.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext22.shtml</a></li></ul>