A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob battery change and all that ..

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Key fob battery change and all that ..

Okay, main key stopped working remotely and the spare fob does, so moi decides to swap the batteries from spare to main, .. lots of no flashing and lack of action.

But after trying all the voodoo tips on site and google, later it suddenly decided to work !!!!!

Problem now is the spare, it has a SNAPPED KEY, so all the voodoo has no chance,
so do I just get some new batteries and hope it works (after all its only a standby door opener) or is there some way of reprogramming a fob with no key ?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushbutton_auto
Okay, main key stopped working remotely and the spare fob does, so moi decides to swap the batteries from spare to main, .. lots of no flashing and lack of action.

But after trying all the voodoo tips on site and google, later it suddenly decided to work !!!!!

Problem now is the spare, it has a SNAPPED KEY, so all the voodoo has no chance,
so do I just get some new batteries and hope it works (after all its only a standby door opener) or is there some way of reprogramming a fob with no key ?
This >>

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Remote Control Matching Info

Or this (to use the traditional method) >>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Un...VWuiUC&vxp=mtr

PS: If a magnet sticks to a new key blank, the key shops here won't touch it ... wrong material ... should be a soft, non-ferrous metal. Steel blanks will tear up the die in their machines.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, so cheap and they ship down under ...

How come the cost for a spare key from the dealer, costs so much .... ahhh wait a minute 200 bux for a little plastic grille ...

What should I expect to pay for the actual cutting ? Is this where the real cost comes in ?

I believe the voodoo trick that worked (reprogramming) was inserting the key in the ignition turning it to the on position and pushing the unlock on the fob. Or else it was simply a time thing and after trying to lock / unlock a few times and then driving the car it was primed !
Who knows, it works and I will order a couple of those blanks/spares and hopefully end up with a couple of working spares.

Thanks Sd2.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

At least one outfit can cut a blank from a photo of your key:
https://keysinthepost.com/product/audi-key-blade/