A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 dies at 60mph. Coughs a little but no start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default S8 dies at 60mph. Coughs a little but no start.

My daughter was cruising along around 60mph when the engine stumbled and died. The car wouldn't start again. It makes an attempt, with a few coughs.
After I had it towed home, it started for a couple of seconds then immediately died.
Codes are P1128. P1130 banks 1 and 2, System too lean, and random cylinder misfires P0301, p0305, p0306, p0302.
Under the hood the only obvious problem was one of the two vacuum operated manifold flaps had a broken plastic connector, so one of the flaps is not operating, but this shouldn't be enough to stop the car in full flight. There's no obvious vacuum lines broken.
Any thoughts on first places to start anyone?
Attached Thumbnails S8 dies at 60mph. Coughs a little but no start.-vacuumlinkbroken.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gbmarc
My daughter was cruising along around 60mph when the engine stumbled and died. The car wouldn't start again. It makes an attempt, with a few coughs.
After I had it towed home, it started for a couple of seconds then immediately died.
Codes are P1128. P1130 banks 1 and 2, System too lean, and random cylinder misfires P0301, p0305, p0306, p0302.
Under the hood the only obvious problem was one of the two vacuum operated manifold flaps had a broken plastic connector, so one of the flaps is not operating, but this shouldn't be enough to stop the car in full flight. There's no obvious vacuum lines broken.
Any thoughts on first places to start anyone?
Fuel Pump shot ... even when failed, it throws no codes of its own, but could certainly produce those codes as a result of no fuel.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Concur.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jfrahm
Concur.
I agree as well. Fuel pump
Old 09-30-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the date on fuel filter,mine was never changed until 2015 (car was cpo)
Old 10-01-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just a little update:
Yesterday I disconnected the pressure fuel line where it joins the fuel rail on top of the manifold.
I pulled the fuel pump fuse in the passenger footwell and then sent 12v to the fuel pump for about 15 secs. Small amounts of fuel pumped lamely into my catchment jar. Obviously fuel was not being delivered properly.
I then extracted the fuel pump and ordered a new one.
With the old pump on the bench, I fed it 12v and the pump span just fine with no strange noises.
So I'm a little confused as to why the pump appears OK on the bench. I realize that normally it operates submerged and I understand that I might have jogged it into life by extracting it, but it's still not convincing.
RE: Checking the filter. I haven't done this yet, because I reasoned that if a filter was slowly clogging up, it would hardly suddenly completely cut-off the engine - or would it? Wouldn't a clogging filter show itself in a slow build up of a problems? and not a sudden cut off?
Old 10-02-2017, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

If you google around you can find teardowns of these pumps, often when they fail chunks of the commutator break off and wedge the pump. A good trick to get home is to reverse the power to the pump to temporarily unjam them.

When you get the pump make sure it has the extra port on the bottom, common pumps fit but lack this port for the (scavenge pumps in the far reaches of the tank).
Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I replaced my pump due to the car not starting I had the same bench test results as you. Seemed to work every time I applied power to it. Finally it did not respond to power, tapped it about a dozen times and it took off again. Point being replace the pump as it has given up it useful life. Not a fun job to replace, but worth the effort.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Car running again

Car is running again with one potential worry.
Here's what happened:
While waiting for the new pump I replaced the fuel filter. The old filter didn't appear to be clogged - I tested it with a jet of water and it passed thru just fine.
I then assembled and installed the new pump. Getting the housing back into the tank was a pain until I realized that the rubber grommet ring around the top opening should be installed on the tank first and not on the housing first. If you put it on the pump housing then the whole unit sits in the right place but can't be pushed down that last inch and won't sit flush on the tank rim opening. I was trying to get the large locking ring to thread so it would draw it down but it wouldn't take. Placing the rubber ring on the tank first solved the problem.
OK, the potential worry is the long rod bolt. I tightened it up while the pump housing wasn't quite all the way in. When I had to back the housing out a little to put the rubber ring on the tank opening, I tried to undo the bolt but it wouldn't undo. It just rotated with no effect. So I assume that at the other end the nut was rotating in its plastic housing. I tightened it back up, but I suspect that it probably wouldn't tighten fully for the same reason.
Anyway, the car started right up and it's gone off on a long trip, but my daughter filled it up before it dropped below half a tank, so I'm not sure if it's good or not.
In conclusion, the pump may look good on the bench but still be bad.