A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 test drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S8 test drive

Stopped by my dealer the other day to tell them I was interested in an S8 and there was a black/black AOA car parked out front! Needless to say, I had to take it for a drive. Beautiful exterior, alcantara interior was gorgeous but I would not order it, too afraid of staining it. Throttle was very sensitive, feels like a rocket-ship just cruising around town. Acceleration was impressive ( feels like about 6 second flat 0-60) but somehow I was expecting more. The motor only had 600 miles on it, and in my experience, a tight, high rev five valve motor needs about 5000 miles to fully break in, though it pulled hard at the top end. Handles like no two ton luxury car has a right to, drifted smoothly and predictably when pushed but downshifted too slowly coming off a corner and messed up my exits. I am used to manual transmissions and left it in drive, maybe manually shifting the tip would help. The brakes are incredible, no complaints. An S4 may be quicker off the line ( that steep first gear helps) but it feels like a toy compared to the S8. In summary: a totally pimp ride. The dealer has a black/black car due in three weeks which became available, but I am torn between black and silver. Anyone seen or own a silver car that can help with my decision?
Old 03-03-2001, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: S8 test drive

I don't know about the exterior but I have heared alcantara is very stain restant and easy to clean.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:40 AM

Black, definately
Old 03-03-2001, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Both black and silver suits the car nicely, it is mostly a matter of your own taste. The silver car will look lighter, more anonymous, the black will look mean and "important". But silver is and will always be the traditional "Audi color".

Personally, I don't think the light colors suits such a big car as much as the dark ones, but that is just me. I would without doubt choose Ming blue/ecru, or black/black. But even silver/ecru (or is there another grey interior color?) is a very nice combination.

--
/KjellA
Oslo, Norway
'97 A8 4,2 qt sport
Old 03-03-2001, 01:25 PM

Where are you??? Black is bad in the hot summers - never again, like say in Houston for instance....

Regardless of the heat-factor Black shows ever piece of dirt and dust.

I went Silver with the Platinum (gray) leather on my S8 - no Alcantera here... too expensive and I will mess it up... Besides you loose those awesome fronts sport seats....

Silver really is the classic color for this car being ASF and all.... Man, I love it...
Old 03-03-2001, 01:36 PM

I have the Platinum (light grey) Awesome on the silver car....
Old 03-03-2001, 01:38 PM

And for 3 - 400 bucks a stain treatment includes a replacement warranty...

Problem is, with Alcantara - for your 4 grand - you loose those awesome front sport seats...
Old 03-03-2001, 11:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just tested a '98 (UK) S8 - the '90 V8 3.6 quattro has to go! My preferred colour is racing green/ecru interior. I saw a black/black model - imho, this was hideous.
As for silver - all the Mercs around my way are silver...but hey, you pays your money and you takes your pick.
Old 03-03-2001, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not lose the sport seats with alcantara. The one I drove had them.
Old 03-04-2001, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer in Bellevue WA has both a Silver and Black S8 on lot. There is no comparison. The silver blends in with the crowd and the black is screaming for a ticket.

Quick Reply: S8 test drive